Follow me help needed. I think??

Jeff Horton

OK Dave, I have impressed myself with what I have learned in Su and that lot of that is thanks to your helping me through those stumbling blocks I was having. But I have hit a snag I can't figure out and no doubt it is simple!! I am just stumped.

I was trying to draw an electric motor. The round cylinder is simple. But this motor was to have rounded/radiused ends. I could never figure out how to radius the end on a cylinder! I know it it's got be simple but it has me stumped.

Got a little trick up you sleeve??

Jeff

from one newbie to another... what if you make two cylinders. First the wider cylinder which is the outside of the motor. Then make a narrower cylinder on the end of the motor. This gives you a stepped end. then you can make the arc in that gap and use follow-me to fill it in? (I haven't tried it, just thinking out loud)

This is probably a bit of a hack, maybe Dave has a slicker approach.

Actually, Art, your way would work. You could use Offset to make the smaller diameter part on the end of the motor. You could also draw an arc segment on the end of the cylinder and run follow me..

I'll make a couple of illustrations. Back soon.

from one newbie to another... what if you make two cylinders. First the wider cylinder which is the outside of the motor. Then make a narrower cylinder on the end of the motor. This gives you a stepped end. then you can make the arc in that gap and use follow-me to fill it in? (I haven't tried it, just thinking out loud)

This is probably a bit of a hack, maybe Dave has a slicker approach.

From another newbie to two others (we almost have ourselves a quartet!)

I wonder if you could do something similar with just drawing a line at the center of the cylinder? Draw the line equal to the depth, then an arc and then follow me?

Here we go. Two methods illustrated here from left to right. If, instead of simply drawing the quarter circle, you drew it so the vertical line was at the center, you wouldn't have to fill in the face on the end.
radius.jpg

Instead of drawing the cylinder to begin with you could a circle and then half the section of the motor including the radiused corner. then run follow me on the profile and you'd have a cylinder with a radised edge.

Last edited: