Tough Decision Day on Scrapettes

glenn bradley

I am probably not alone among folks who work with interesting woods in that I have accumulated a way too large collection of small "useful" pieces over the years. Shop space is finite so values shift :thumb:.

Scrapettes (1).jpg

I am taking all this stuff and limiting myself to two small bins; one of "exotics" and one of "visually interesting" pieces.

Scrapettes (2).jpg

The rest is off to never-land.

Scrapettes (3).jpg

I'm also ditching the cubby fixture. If Carol reads this and wants it I could arrange for it to get to her.

Scrapettes (4).jpg

I'd be happy to have it along with being the recipient of never-never land. If you are coming to see your Dad, we could meet there and also pick up the air compressor. Could use the help getting it on the truck.

Getting rid of scraps is always painful to me. I had to do major cleanup of my shop to install my TS and I ended up with about 30Kg of scraps that I couldn't part away with. Finally I gave them to a neighbour to be burnt in his fireplace.

I've got several plastic bins of exotic scraps that I paid to move from LA to ABQ, but I still have no idea if I'll have room (or a need) for them in the new shop.

I pretty much figured I was not alone in this. My process became one of comparing what "I couldn't part with" to "what I already had" and keeping the best of the two. Unfortunately, I had already accumulated way too much. Hopefully this spring cleaning will now let this method work and help me keep nice pieces that may be useful without all the excess :thumb:

I pretty much figured I was not alone in this. My process became one of comparing what "I couldn't part with" to "what I already had" and keeping the best of the two. Unfortunately, I had already accumulated way too much. Hopefully this spring cleaning will now let this method work and help me keep nice pieces that may be useful without all the excess :thumb:

Naw... you'll just start over... BTDT

by getting rid of the chubby glenn you wont have the desire to fill it.. it works like that with new tackle boxes to:( so less places for the shorts the better..pass off the virus laden chubby to that little lady that makes every thing work somehow:)

I have three 4 drawer file cabinets full to the brim with scraps and shorts made from bowl blanks that had cracks too serious for bowls....little 2x2x6-12" pieces or 3x3x6-12" pieces. Spalted maple, holly, magnolia, walnut, cherry, dogwood--all good for small turnings, or tool handles, or pen blanks, or Glenn's trivets, or something.... Another 5' tall stack of Costco fruit boxes with 4x4x12-15" chunks of the same woods for pepper mills etc. I bet if I sifted through my pile of bowl blanks there would be some more cracked ones to slice up on the band saw. I hate throwing decent wood away. My kids are gonna have a big bonfire:)

I am in a lucky / unlucky position. I have an 8 x 10 ft woodshed for firewood ready to burn---mostly eucalyptus. It also has bins for cut-offs. So far so good. However when the weather might be not so nice the woodshed also houses the bench I use outside for gross sanding, removing protective coating from new steel tools, applying BLO, etc. Now things are getting a bit cozy. Toss in a couple electric motors, my large TS sled, an electric hydraulic log splitter, boxes of kindling to start fires, etc. and things become chaotic.

I am a frequent visitor to this chaos for a desired cut-off for a file handle, a piece of wood for a weed vase, shim material, small turning piece, or a whatever.

The wood is basically stored vertically, by length.

Gee. Isn't woodworking interesting?

Enjoy,
JimB