Hummingbird Plaque

Good job Leo. A question if I may: If you wanted to increase the detail level, how would you do it? Programming your CNC in two steps and change to a finer bit after the first pass?

What if you wanted to make some undercuts along the silouette edge? a third pass with a specific bit?

Toni,

A finer bit would do a little more.

I used a 1/8 tapered ball nosed mill - I could have gone down as small as 1/32 tapered ball nose.

The radius of the smaller tool can get into the details better.

This is a purchased model, commercially available.
This plaque is the model as purchased.
That being said - there may not have been as much attention to the detail given in the creation of the model.

With modeling software someone could modify the model to add more detail.
That is a skill, just like any skill and needs to be learned and practiced.
I have a Wacom Bamboo tablet and am working on my skills as modeling.
I have a LONG way to go - but I can do some rudimentary things.

As to undercutting - that gets into some advanced 4 and 5 axis machine moves and advanced software.
My machine and my software is not capable of that.

I have seen many people start with a commercial model or rudimentary shapes and finish off with traditional hand carving or sculpting.
I have tried hand carving on the Last Supper, after machine cutting.
I didn't finish that project but I can see that as an optional process.

The possibilities are endless.

>snip<
As to undercutting - that gets into some advanced 4 and 5 axis machine moves and advanced software.
My machine and my software is not capable of that.
I was not thinking about extremely deep undercuts, just a slight undercut following the silohuette of the figure. I guess that with a conical bit similar to the pic I include could do it as it would move only horizontaly at a given level, (The background )
undercutting bit.jpg
That would create a shadow all around and it would make the figure pop out from the background instead of blending with it. At least this is what I do in my relief carvings.:dunno:

Toni - WOW - what a good idea. I never thought of that.

It is outside the norm for the machine and programming software but that does not mean we cannot think outside of the box.

If I mounted a dovetail cutter in the machine I could generate a cutter path to follow the outside profile at the base of the raised "relief" and whereby cut the undercut. Of course I would need to play around a little with the profile and "know" the geometry of the cutter - but it is certainly doable.

A little sanding after that and BAM -

I Love that Idea.

Another thought is to get a little deeper underneath after the dovetail - a keyslot cutter could get under a little deeper.

WOW - what possibilities!!!

Bill - yeah there are infinite possibilities.

Still, I will reiterate - not to be mean, but just cause I know a "little" about this stuff, you should go for the upgrades to get NEMA 23 ---- (my next machine is going to be NEMA34 1000 oz/in steppers) - and a little more than the dremel tool. I am thinking PC690 series (my next router will be a water cooled 3hp ER20 collet true router spindle)

BUT - that is not to say that this plaque is outside the NEMA 17 and colt - it IS within the possibility.

When I carved out the material surrounding the hummingbird (this is one piece of wood) - I used a 1/4 end mill cutting 1/4 deep in Maple at 100 IPM. I cut 3/4 deep all around the hummingbird. Then I used a 1/4 ball mill to rough the material on the hummingbird. I am pretty sure the colt and NEMA17 would stall or faulter. You could do it in smaller cuts but the time to carve would be a lot longer - LOT - longer.

I took movies of the process - if you want to see them I will post on youtube.

Leo, it's good to read your analysis of what it takes to do different processes with a CNC machine. I've seen and worked with the results of a commercial CNC machine in a professional cabinet shop. The level of machining in a "hobby" system won't compete but should give those of us who take the plunge a whole new "toy" to enjoy and learn new processes. With the system I ordered, I will have a spindle that can handle both 1/8" and 1/4" router bits, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish in the next few months.

I'd love to see your videos of the processes you use. :thumb: