Another use for Rare Earth Magnets

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, on my entertainment center project, I had paneled the cubby hole with cherry ply.

Prior to doing that, I had run a bit of drain pipe with some 90 degree elbows in to to run wires behind the wall, should I ever decide to mount the tv on the wall so that it is 'floating'.

Well, Today was that day, but I had a problem, In the last couple of years since I started the project, I had lost any measurements of where the hole should be. So how to find it? But I did have access to the hole on the bottom. I tried just poking a wire up the pipe and tapping, but that did not seem very accurate. Then an idea hit, why not put a rare earth magnet on the wire and poke it up and use another rare earth magnet on the other side?

Worked like a charm first time out.

On the left is a little hot glue on one of the magnets, and on the right is the other magnet sticking to the wall. Made it easy to use a roto zip to cut out the hole in the paneling to run the wire.
20150215_123039.jpg20150215_122912.jpg

And hey, The tv is floating in mid air with no wires!

20150215_174220.jpg

well brent i agree with yu ,, yu are a genius,, and one other thing that picture showing your finish on the ply is superb,, you got that perfect in my eyes the depth you accomplished on the ply is outstanding.