Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That was stupid.

That was stupid.

AAAAAAArgh. I just destroyed a piece of a project. Making a picture frame w/ lap joints. Cut a stupid dado on the wrong side of the stupid board. Of course, it was the last piece to cut so I was almost done. And, of course, all the parts were cut from the same board, so now I have to go to the store and try to find a similar board. To top that all off, after I'd done it, I carried it up to the kitchen and said "Argh, I just ruined this and I don't have any more" and she looks at it and goes "Well, how'd you do that??" Really? Because I'm stupid and wasn't paying attention and that wasn't the right question to ask because you're smart enough to figure it out on your own especially when I just told you I ruined it.

Reno NV
    Been there, Done that, but that doesn't help you.

Lets just say I like to buy my materials in quantity for more than one reason.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thomasville, GA
    I feel your pain, David. All of are subject to a slip - nobody is immune. Call it stupid or whatever, it doesn't mean YOU are a stupid person! Stuff happens and we move on.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Definitely not the first 'unplanned pratice piece' in woodworking... nothing to sweat over, unless it becomes a common occurrence, as it so does in my life
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

You burn to learn.��������. Been there done that. Better luck on next one.

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    I have NEVER done such a thing.....
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Stupid is a harsh word. Hurrying, distracted, failing to be in "the now" all sound better than stupid. However, that is just what I call myself when I do something like this . We've all been there. My condolences.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Delton, Michigan
    the best thing to do is learn from it, and make notes of the best procedure for the next time you want to do that and put those notes where you can find them..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    the best thing to do is learn from it, and make notes of the best procedure for the next time you want to do that and put those notes where you can find them..
    Well, yeah, it's because I was laying out as I went along. That's how I work 99% of the time and this time it bit me. Maybe I'll start laying out all the cuts ahead of time and x'ing the waste. Urgh. Still annoyed. Supposed to be a very simple project using up some wood that was taking up space and I blew it. And now it's snowing.

ABQ NM
    Cut the dados on the wrong side of the board? I'd never do such a thing! Instead, I'd cut the dadoes on the correct side, but I'd do one of the curved cuts on the wrong side. On the whole stack of five boards I'd resawn and planed down to size. My philosophy is if I'm gonna mess up, I might as well mess up big.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan