Value of used machines?

A friend here in Austin is planning on selling a couple of his machines, and is unsure how much to ask...

First is a Powermatic PM66 cabinet saw, in excellent condition, runs great
  • Optional 5 hp motor
  • Router Extension
  • New arbor - runs very smoothly

The second machine is a Delta DJ20 8" jointer, also in excellent condition.

I'd be interested in seeing not only responses, but how people figure this.
My views tend to be start at half of new (no warranty, used, etc), and then adjust for shape, anything needed, improvements, etc.
It is only worth what both parties agree on in the end. He may see benefit to the router wing, the next owner may see that as something he needs to get rid of. The new arbor can be seen several different ways:
There was a problem with the old (bad design, wore out in which case what else is wore, odd size needed, etc)
As something that tech has improved and is upgradable to the newer model.

In my area, PM66 3 Phase generally run from $700 to $1200 while newer single phase run about $1600 give or take a couple of hundred. Those are the prices on Craigslist. Never sure what they actually sold for. Occasionally you see someone trying to hit a home run and are asking in the $2000 plus range. I really don't believe that is the correct price point because there are so many PM66s available where I live.

charlie for a long time the dj20's were the go to jointer, for some new woodworker they may still have some major value. if its the older model they are made better than the new ones but in todays market i think the combos are the way to go if they have the cash for them.. the helical heads are to wanted items and the companys that offer them installed are getting good sales.. the last old one i saw available went for $800, as for the TSaw i would say that half of todays cost would be a fair price

It's so market dependent it's almost impossible to say. Use Search Tempest and see if any have shown up on CL in the region and what they ;isted for. But I generally follow the 1/2 price thought that Randal mentioned. I was watching one near me for $1600 (5 HP, but no router table) hoping it would drop to $1200 or so. It was gone in 3 days.

Value of a used machine?

It depends on whether you are the seller or the buyer!

As a seller I'd be looking for 60% - 75% (condition dependent) of it's value new.
As a buyer I'd consider paying 50% - 65% (again depending on the condition) of it's new value

You have to consider that used items are almost certainly out of warranty, and no matter how well taken care of, they are still used items. Even if BNIB, you probably won't get more that 75% of the new value. I reckon 50% is about what you should expect for a good used item, and maybe ask 60-65%.

50% if in good condition. Up to 60% is extra accessories are included. And the new arbor is a red flag in my book, too. I'd have to think, what caused the saw to need a new arbor and what other things could have been affected. Sweeten the pot with accessories is helpful. There is also the seller's urgency factor to consider.

As a seller I try to abide by that pricing and then stand firm on my price. Longest time it took was 5 days and that was the motorcycle last August. Got my asking price, too.

As to how long things stay on Craigslist. One never knows what the item actually sold for or how long it took. I have replied to items within a few days and they are gone. Others stay there a while, go off, and then come back with a lower price. Watching a drill press here right now. It says it has a broken mounting plate but the picture shows the table to be broken. They admit some 'simple' welding is needed. Cast iron welding is another animal and then there is also the milling. Tells me the seller has no idea and thus far the asking price is not worth the effort to educate him.

I paid $1500 for a very low time, but neglected 1989 model 66 four years ago. I'd gladly pay $2k for that same saw today if one popped up.

If it is a 2003 or later Taiwanese piece of junk, it'd make a real nice end table.

Status update. My friend sold the DJ20 for $1000 - while one person was on the phone trying to negotiate a lower price, another call came in - I don't know whether the first or second person got it, but they paid the asking price.

The PM66 is still for sale for $2,000 OBO. It is an older machine, so apparently made in USA. The arbor was replaced a long time ago, so I don't know why he is still mentioning it... I got the impression the arbor has been working fine for over 5 years.

Thanks for your help.

If it weren't a zillion hour drive away, and have a router table in it I'd be all over it.

The arbor being replaced doesn't mean anything. Parts fail. Sometimes they fail very prematurely.

There's a model 66 that just popped up on Craigslist here. $2850 is what he's got it listed for. That's a might steep for me. I can't tell for sure looking at the picture of the serial number, but it looks like an 04'. Also comes with a mobil base, useless to me, and an Excalibur over arm guard (also useless to me). Too bad it's not a couple years older, I'd offer him $1800 cash today for it. http://stcloud.craigslist.org/tls/4907265615.html

I think I also missed a Model 27 shaper. I tried emailing the ad last night with a couple of questions, but it bounced back and now the listing is gone. It's too bad, looked like a well cared for shaper.

There's a nice Model 27S shaper that's been listed for a while. Looks nice, but for what they're asking it should come with a good powerfeed as well.

Decent used equipment is in short supply right now. I'm watching a 25hp Dustek dust collector on an auction in Ohio right now. Auction ends at 12:30 CST, I've got a feeling it's going to go for a fair price, but more than I want to spend right now.

Actually, that tablesaw might be older than I think. It might still be the American made model. I've got a 66 I bought new in 04' the serial number is on a sticker on the right side of the saw. I've got an older one, and that has the serial number stamped into a plate that is riveted to the base on the front. hmmm.

And I google'd what part of the serial number is the date of manufacture. The first four numbers are the YYMM, so mine is 0066, so June 2000. Good stuff to know. So the saw listed above is a 2001

Never over 50%. Consider condition and work down from there.

I want to agree, but there's some factors in there. I think I paid about $2500 for my 66 in 2004. In 2015 money that'd be $3100 according to one inflation calculator I looked at.

But, there just isn't anything comparable for a good, simple, light commercial grade ripping saw nowadays. The new Powermatic saw isn't that impressive. I won't touch Grizzly. The Sawstop looks fancy, but from what I've been told by people that have them in a commercial environment, they are not up to the task. Pwermatic made a tools that were a really good value. Not Northfield quality by any means, but that's industrial grade, and a whole different ball game. They filled a niche, and one that is currently vacant sadly. To me that makes some of the stuff worth more than you would typically pay. Like I said, I'd gladly pay $2000 for another 66 like the one I have. It's a really nice saw, and when I got it, it had hardly been used. There was still paint on the chip deflector behind the blade, which is now pretty much polished from use.

It's similar to the older diesel pickup market. A few years ago, the older pickups that were pre-emissions BS were going for a premium. Huge money for a ten year old pickups because from 2007 up to a couple of years ago, the new engines were junk and full of problems.

Because you have personall bias for/against certain items, you are correct in your approach. But just for yourself. The 50% thing is a guide and starting point. Frequently used items are 'as is'. The buyer may have no idea of condition and must be cautious at all times. If you don't like a brand, don't buy it at any price. BTW, Powermatic and Grizzly come out of the same factory.