A wild grain appears - pistachio wood

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Love the texture and figure in this wood.

Piece of pistachio wood centered on the graft (which is what causes that funky line down the middle) I got as a rough turned blank from my cousin at HighWestWood during the road trip to southern Oregon last fall. He'd rough turned it to a bit over 1" thick and then I brought it home and finished it up. It wanted to check and split a bit on the end grain a bit and warps some while drying but really shapes beautifully once you get to it.

9 1/2" across, 3" deep wall at about 3/16 with a 1/4" bead on the rim.

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

Last edited:
that must have been touch and go with the crack right in the middle like that.. nice looking wood again ryan:)

Actually that part was 100% solid - its just color from where the tree was grafted although yep it does look pretty scary if you don't know what it is :D. There was a wee crack on the one end that I filled but it wasn't enough to really cause concern.

Ryan, I Love the grain in it! I don't know if I've ever seen Pistachio used before. Are both sides Pistachio? In your second pic, the right side seems to be a little redder than the left.

Yep, two varieties grafted together though the rootstock was one kind of pistachio and the fruitstock (is that a word?) was another kind. I'm not entirely sure which side was up or down (or what the varieties were), but yes one side is definitely a bit redder and the other (which I ?think? may be the bottom) has more of the blue streaks and an almost rosewood looking center to it. This came out of some central California orchards a couple years back

Its actually REALLY nice wood to work - this was my first exposure to it as well. Its quite hard (not ebony hard but more than and average domestic hard - you can't really dent it with a fingernail) but still cuts very nicely. He has pallets of the stuff there - apparently he's sold a fair bit for use as fretboards and another fellow somewhere in washington is buying a lot for urns. I have 3 more chunks of it that were fretboard rejects that I'm planning to make into carved cutlery... I was sort of dreading it because its so hard but after having worked with the stuff I think it'll actually carve pretty well.

I didnd't know that pistachio trees could grow so thick. Looks great Ryan. Here one cannot find such woods.:(

Toni - he has some slabs that are much much larger than this - approaching 2' across. Really neat looking stuff. I'm guessing you can get some olive and similar though?

Very cool, Ryan. :thumb: I've only turned one piece of pistachio, but it was a smaller piece. (It was a gift from Jim Burr, in fact.) Very cool figure but it blew up quite spectacularly when I tried to make a Christmas ornament out of it. (I hadn't even started hollowing it yet.)