I'm back, like it or not.

Welcome back Frank, it is scary to realize how much dependent we all have become of these machines. Just Imagine running this forum through paper mail.

Computers are wonderful when they work! I've been fortunate to have never had a catastrophic failure. Hearing of others misfortunes, i keep most critical stuff on separate backup drives, and use DropBox and iCloud for additional convenience and backup.

I mostly use a laptop or my wife's iPad, but our main PC, kind of the home server, was an old XP machine and it had just gotten really ugly waiting for boot up, page loads, etc. I just completed the migration from it to a Win7 laptop we've had a couple years. Wow, what a chore to migrate everything.

Biggest chore was installing a home-use version of Office Enterprise my wife bought as a federal employee. Took a call to Microsoft. I'll give the support rep major kudos for working with me to get it installed on the new machine and fixing the licensing.

I'm tempted to play with Linux on the old PC, but I barely seem to get as much shop time as I want. Probably best not to go there. :huh: