I learned something new today.

Karl Brogger

For ever, or at least over the course of the last few thousand dovetail drawer boxs I've built, I've been pounding them together with a hammer and a block of wood. Some go easily, some are cranky, but they've all carried the Estwing stamp of assembly.

Until today friends, until today.

I had thought about doing this for years, just never bought one to try it. A friend loaned me his air hammer to try out. Freakin' awesomeness. I need to go pick up a regulator though. It's a bit aggressive at 150psi. Took a while to get the hang of it too, but instead of using say 6-8 hammer hits to tap the dovetails together, this does it with about 20 lighter, mucho faster hits. I used a block of maple to pound against, and to spread out the load as well. Same thing I do when I use a hammer to assemble. A lot less chipping, and much less cumbersome than a hammer. Not quieter though by any means.

Then it crapped out on me. There's a seal inside that died, my guess is old age is most of it. My ridiculous line pressure being the rest of the cause. $70 for a rebuild kit. I went to lunch, and came back to the sound of air being dumped and the compressor running. Fortunately I don't think it had been running for too long. The tank was warm, but not hot. One more reason to shut the air off at the tank when you're not around.

Then I watch a video with a CNC drawer assembler, and I feel stupid.

I'd only seen the cheap ones at Sears or Harbor Freight, which I'll admit I've been tempted to get for working in tight places for driving nails. I've not seen the DanAir model that can accept different heads. Looks like a great addition to the air tool collection. But I have not looked at the price yet and will wager I'll be surprised (and not pleasantly). However, the versatility of this one is pretty nice.

EDIT: Wow, that's a bit pricier than I thought! Also just realized this is a hammer and not a palm nailer like I've looked at recently I bought a a Festool track saw last year, and next on the list is a Domino, so it's not like I'm shocked anymore at what one pays to get quality.

Last edited:
Nice, btdt...yeah most air tool seals don't fair well over 90 PSI. ;)

I'm a big fan of some of the harbor freight 'storehouse' assortments of parts. The o-ring assortment I've got has saved my hind quarters a bunch of times. Would not dream of not having it around.

Nice, btdt...yeah most air tool seals don't fair well over 90 PSI. ;)

The website says up to 125psi. I think old age was the worst of it. It looks dang near new, but it's probably close to 20 years old.

I run almost everything else at those pressures. pneumatic clamps work pretty awesome at those pressures, and nail guns fire with some authority. The widebelt, hinge machine, linebore, and the Castle machine are all on their own regulator though.