CNC kits

Rob Keeble

Last night i watched a Shapeoko video and i can see why you guys building a kit have got the bug. Saw one where the guy was using a Makita trim router as the spindle which changed it for me.

I see they now taking bookings for a heavier duty version called Shapeoko 3 with their own rails and designed for a trim router.

The price of the kit is very attractive when one considers everything about it.

This guys actual projects made it very attractive in my view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUNMJtBarsY

Also this guy making these dust collector components for his makita based machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zrKHVaICbE

I was wondering does anyone know of any other CNC kit companies that one might evaluate as alternatives to Shapeoko. Inventables seems to be serving a great niche.

On that second video, I suspect he'll have issues with the boot getting pushed into the cutter since the only thing holding it was the pipe clipped into the two brackets. Perhaps he fitted a few screws later to keep it from twisting. Nice project though.

Last night i watched a Shapeoko video and i can see why you guys building a kit have got the bug. Saw one where the guy was using a Makita trim router as the spindle which changed it for me.

I see they now taking bookings for a heavier duty version called Shapeoko 3 with their own rails and designed for a trim router.

The price of the kit is very attractive when one considers everything about it. ...

One can adapt the Z-axis mount for a variety of small routers. Inventables has adapters for Bosch and DeWalt, but others have made their own adapters. I bought a spindle with my kit, but have laid out a wraparound mount to replace the simple strap that ships with the system. The strap works fine. I just want something a bit better.

I looked at the Shapeoko 3, but the only info on it right now is the basic kit. The Shapeoko 2 will do everything I anticipate doing with it.

On that second video, I suspect he'll have issues with the boot getting pushed into the cutter since the only thing holding it was the pipe clipped into the two brackets. Perhaps he fitted a few screws later to keep it from twisting. Nice project though.

Yeah i agree Darren i was wondering what vac hose he was going to find that would not yank that pipe out. But i guess he has enough engineering gumption to have made the bracket for the Makita so he will sort it.
I thought the shroud design clever with off the shelf brushes and routing the part.
Could see him making and selling them to some that value their time and yet want the upgrade.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

There appears to be a rather bewilderingly larger selection of small DIY/partially prebuilt/kit CNC router systems available now. Sort of a good place to be in I guess but wow what a lot of choices!

I asked my cousin what his was since it looked pretty nice - its a LegacyCNC which runs $14k new, so nope to that new (he found it used at a pretty reasonable price) and has a 4th axis rotary which looks incredibly useful (think gunstock blanks, spiral railings, etc..).