It's Friday! 2/27/2015 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to believe that it will be March this weekend. I think we're supposed to get some snow this weekend, but forecast have been widly off this year for us, so either they will finally get it right or we'll have more of the usual (none) which I'll take. My wife has a few organization projects on the list for this weekend, but hoping to get a little shop time in otherwise. Need to do some picking up as things are getting to be a mess again out there.

What's everyone else got going?

I had drywall guys in to re-texture our study that I have been remodeling. The weather has been reasonably mild for February, and dry when the guy came to give us an estiamte. Of course, it got really cold, started snowing early in the morning before they arrived. They started at 8:30 and were done in about 2 hours. They asked me to leave the window open just a bit for air circulation. They are doing a smooth coat with fine waves/ripples, will almost like like the surface of a sand dune. So it takes several light coats to smooth, and then a final roll-on coating for troweling. Otherwise, I might have been worried it would sag since it was so cold. I went in a few hours after they had left, and it was damp and freezing in there, window was all wet inside, and the mud did not seem to be curing very fast -- but only a few globs I checked that were inside the cutouts around electrical boxes. I sure did not want to touch the walls! Maybe this is good, to let it dry slowly. About 6pm I closed the window down and cranked up the heat. This morning all looks fine. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer when they return to do next steps.

We got maybe 3-4 inches overnight, enough to not shovel, but fire up the snow blower again. I am at least looking at this year positively -- I am getting my money's worth out of my snow blower.

Friday: I'm continuing with my CNC project - preparing to modify the gShield board for additional connections I'll need. I'm still waiting for a few parts I had to order online to arrive to dive head-long into finalizing the electronics box.

Saturday: LOMLs birthday - need I say more?

Sunday: NASCAR in Atlanta - hope they don't get snowed in!!!

Movie night at home tonight...with a fire...it's COLD!! Tomorrow it should warm up enough to get out the shop long enough to get Bill's old router plate put into mine so I can finally start using my new router! KU basketball in the late afternoon and then a lazy day at home on Sunday.

Supposed to be another -15° night tonight, and up to 5° tomorrow. I'll either be in the shop, or in front of the TV. :rolleyes:

Supposed to warm up to 20° on Sunday, and drop another 6~8" of snow. Guess I'll be shoveling and plowing...

Been a slow week here...started with me catching a stomach bug last weekend, and although I'm pretty much back to normal (or as normal as I get), LOML now has the full-blown flu. I expect to spend most of the weekend continuing with the unpacking and organizing as we get settled into the new house. The handyman project du jour is to replace the ceramic shelf in the master bath shower. LOML dropped the handheld shower head on it last week and broke it. I have the replacement shelf, but the tricky part will be removing the remnants of the old one without breaking any of the surrounding tile. (I really don't want to re-tile the entire shower right now.)

We've had pretty mild weather for the past few weeks, but woke up this morning to about 3 to 4 inches of white stuff on the ground.

Season 3 of House of Cards up on Netflix today! My wife and I watched the first two seasons (13 episodes each) earlier this month, in about a 3 day period. Was almost as addicting as Breaking Bad.

Just started a fire in the fireplace, and ready to pop open a few cool ones ... Life Is Good!

Been a busy week for me so i hope to start with my mule deer carving this weekend that is after hitting the gym in morn to make up for time i missed this week.
Given up worrying about what the weather is doing, until the white stuff melts i will just deal with it.
Now i bet nothing turns out the way i called it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I opened a can of worms, I may regret it soon.

with the cold weather and infusion this week, I was only in the shop a bit and started respinning a walnut bowl.

I looked around at my garage shop, and said, wow, what a freakin mess, perfect disorder.

I decided to start ripping down old cabinets and put up some shelves, get all my hand held tools together in one place, sort through all the hardware drawers, start really getting serious and making some order.

And it proved it might be a mistake.

Look at this mess.

I have dozens upon dozens of parts from tools I have no clue what tool they are from.

I have so many edge guides to routers, and I only have 4 routers(maybe 8 or 9 edge guides)

dust bags and plastic attachments, and I have no clue what tools they each go too, not to mention massive piles of hardware because I once decided never to throw anything out.

I have 4 face plates for lathes. I only own one lathe, and gave another face plate with the 1220 vs I sold. I only remember one I might have misplaced from a small lathe purchased from HF which I returned, I never realized it wasn't in the box.

What I did find, is my spare key to the shed, which I thought I lost, and extra screws for my router plates. And I found piles of router plates, probably some of the older routers I purchased used and sold used. I just don't know which plate is to which router.

look at this mess I have to sort through, and none of this is from the drawers in my cabinets, that's an entire different story, and I just put things in drawers and never see them for years when Im looking for something else.

what a task. I did get some new shelves up finally this afternoon.IM putting all my routers on one shelf, and so on and so on.

I have a lot of peghooks, problem is I just keep hanging things on top of other things until I cant find them anymore, and all the junk stuff I purchased before I realized that junk is junk, regardless of what people think they purchase in stores like HF and the like.

you can see, I have pen blanks next to a router, with windshield fluid on the shelf, pen supplies are scatterer all over, in drawers on shelves, some in my house, its crazy unorganized, Im amazed I get so many projects completed as its getting harder to locate things.

all the shelving standards and brackets were laying in my sons attic, so they didn't cost me anything.

glenn would get sick if he walked into my shop.

Attachments

• mess 001.jpg
    mess 001.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 28
  • mess 002.jpg
    mess 002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 29
  • mess 005.jpg
    mess 005.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 31
  • mess 006.jpg
    mess 006.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 30
  • mess 007.jpg
    mess 007.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29
  • mess 008.jpg
    mess 008.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 28
  • mess 009.jpg
    mess 009.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 27
  • mess 010.jpg
    mess 010.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Allen, tomorrow I'll post pics of my "shop" and you'll feel better. Mine's more cluttered than yours, and I still don't have any of my stationary tools out of storage yet. :bang:

Allen,
Looks a lot like my shop.... I call mine "organized chaos"... a term one of my bosses coined years ago when he took a look at my desk.... I always hated filing and sometimes would have 6 months worth of files stacked around on the desk.

Keep the face plates if they still fit your lathe... you can never have too many. I own 2 lathes, but have at least 6 face plates... and sometimes I run out because I will set up a bowl, work on it, get tired of it or disgusted that it's not working and put it aside, then start another...

I also have parts that I don't know what they go to or with or probably don't have the tool any more.