Brown showed today..........finally!

I was off work today and tracking my package it was to be delivered "by the end of day". It was my luck that the end of day was a little after 7 PM.box.jpg

I've sold a few things so I had some discretionary funds available and I've had my eye on one of these for a while. unboxed.jpg

Here she is in all her unboxed glory! It came with the standard 25 degree blade and I added the 50 degree. I got the 25 in pm v11 steel just to tryout and the 50 in A2 which I have a few tools with A2 and I like it.
open.jpg

I'll clean it up, hone the blades, and have a go with it tomorrow!

john, you been passing those vibes around the atmosphere,,, i have the same plane in my sites as soon as i can gather the dollars,, be sure to let us know how it works for you,, now you can start looking at the low angle jack for your next brown delivery:)

A very nice tool John. If I hadn't wanted to capitalize on the blade interchangeability with my Low Angle Jack and my Jointer I would have gotten this versus the BU Smoother. The BU Smoother does not have flat sides for shooting but, I have the LAJ for that. Dad has the LA smoother and it is a joy to use when I visit.

so glenn the one ou got is differnt than this one? i need to see the two i quess so i dont get the wrong one:) because i am looking for universal irons like you did.. and for shooting does the one john got work for that?

so glenn the one ou got is differnt than this one? i need to see the two i quess so i dont get the wrong one:) because i am looking for universal irons like you did.. and for shooting does the one john got work for that?

John's low angle smoother, 2" blade, good for shooting. I generally prefer a heavier plane for shooting but, there are times I use a lighter one on purpose. There's no hard and fast rule here as far as I'm concerned.

My bevel up smoother, 2-1/4" blade like the LA Jack and the Jointer, not good for shooting as the sides are not fully machined at right angles to the sole.

John's low angle smoother, 2" blade, good for shooting. I generally prefer a heavier plane for shooting but, there are times I use a lighter one on purpose. There's no hard and fast rule here as far as I'm concerned.

My bevel up smoother, 2-1/4" blade like the LA Jack and the Jointer, not good for shooting as the sides are not fully machined at right angles to the sole.

That's one of the reasons I went with the low angle and not the bevel up.

I've been playing with this and it's sweet! I have a few small pieces of really curly maple. With the 50 degree blade I get zero tearout and it's glass smooth!

I've decided I need to make me a proper bench. My cobbled together attempts at work holding aren't cutting it anymore!

:D That's funny Larry, the low angle jack is on my short list too! I'm also thinking about adding a router plane.

Take a look at the LV Medium router plane. It uses the same irons as the bigger router plane, but is a convenient size for doing things like hinge mortises on small boxes, etc.

BTW, LV now has a 'mortising plane' that also uses the router plan irons. It's their newest 'invention/innovation.'

OK, you've had it a while now. How do you like it? I have one with a pair of blades (2 different grind angles), and it's one of my favorite hand tools.
Your thoughts????

I was off work today and tracking my package it was to be delivered "by the end of day". It was my luck that the end of day was a little after 7 PM.View attachment 89403

I've sold a few things so I had some discretionary funds available and I've had my eye on one of these for a while. View attachment 89404

Here she is in all her unboxed glory! It came with the standard 25 degree blade and I added the 50 degree. I got the 25 in pm v11 steel just to tryout and the 50 in A2 which I have a few tools with A2 and I like it.
View attachment 89405

I'll clean it up, hone the blades, and have a go with it tomorrow!