stanley lie-nielsen woodriver number 1

I got a woodcraft catalog in the mail the other day and on the front was a No.1 stanley and the new No. 1 woodriver actual size. My first impression is man, that thing is little! After that I looked on line and saw Lie-Nielsen is now making a No. 1.

They look to be about the size of a block plane. Judging from the picture, the whole plane will fit in my palm!

My question is how useful are they? Are they strictly made for the collector market? Should I buy up a dozen and hoard them!:D;)

Last edited:
John, I found an original #1 during a rust hunt. The guy let me look at it and I really can't tell what a person would do with it. Small ain't the word, more like tiny.

Funny, I was just watching an episode of American Woodshop (not my favorite show, but let's not go there) this morning I had recorded earlier and Phillips was talking about how he rounded the edges of his table with a #1. If you've ever seen his show you know Woodcraft has given him one of every size of the Woodriver handplanes, and they mostly just hang in a cabinet in the background. I would bet an original Stanley #1 is worth a small fortune, I don't know that I've ever even seen a pic of one.

Saw an original at an MWTCA old tool swap meet about five years ago. Guy wanted about three grand for it. I don't know if it sold, or not, though.

Patrick Leach tried making a 'Bedrock' reproduction version of the #1 a few years back. Quite pricey, as I recall. Don't know how many he made or sold.

Personally, I don't see any use for a bench plane that small. A block plane will certainly do anything a #1 would do. I have a #2 - the next size up - and I don't remember ever using it for anything. The smallest bench plane I regularly use is a #3. #4 or #4½'s see the most use.

another vote for looks only, i also saw two over on the east coast one was in good shape and i could buy it for 1000, i decided against it after i had negotiated the price due to buy a couple others,, he had another that was in need of repair.. while i was still thre he sold it to the guy that just walked in for 1700.. the old broken one was still there but i left it.. they were originally more for show like a display product.

My question is how useful are they? Are they strictly made for the collector market? Should I buy up a dozen and hoard them!:D;)

How useful are they, well did they get you to pull out some form of payment?
In part, I think we are seeing more of them, in an attempt to spur more woodworking purchases/excitement, then actual use.
I've never seen one in the wild, but I remember the Bedrock 1 that was mentioned earlier. From memory that was supposed to be a 1500 production run, and I remember it more because around that same time, Patrick had on his email list, a non production model plane, that was designed to be an 8 1/2 (longer then an 8), and I was more interested in that. (not enough "free" money to blow on it though)

Looking on youtube a guy had one of the WR #1's. I got a chuckle out of watching him plane the edge of a board. He was holding the knob and tote with 3 fingers. For some reason it was just funny watching. I'd have just grabbed it with one hand and had at it. Actually that video is what caused me to start this post.

Patrick is still listing his version of the bedrock 601 over on his site for 695.