Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw blade question

Bandsaw blade question

Hi there.

I want to purchase a woodslicer bandsaw blade but I do not know how should I specify it. I mean; just giving the diameter of the wheel will be enough? or on top of that I have to specify the total length?

Any hint will be appreciated.

Best regards
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni, the only way I have ever seen bandsaw blades specified is by total length. What bandsaw do you have and what blades have you been buying?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Toni, the only way I have ever seen bandsaw blades specified is by total length. What bandsaw do you have and what blades have you been buying?
    Hi Bill.

I have a european brand (Metabo) bandsaw, and I always bought the blades from them. But their choice offer is rather limited. Some years ago I got some blades from US but I don't remember if I specifyied the diameter or the total length. I've just visited the web of Highland Woodworking and they ask for the total length which answers my question. I should have started that way I guess. So now I have to measure the ones I have and translate the measure into inches. No big deal...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

If you need a custom length, they may not want to make it. Another source would be Iturra design. He sells the same blade under the name Blade Runner, (Highland Hardware copyrighted "woodslicer") Iturra used to make them to order, and he's a little cheaper besides having the blade stock in other widths. He's a little more neanderthal than some companies, no web site. Call (904) 642-2802
    Last edited by fred hargis; 03-02-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Highland Hardware will make what you need. Custom Woodslicer
    Bill Arnold

The woodslicer is a fairly thin resawing blade that runs on medium tension, so works with lighter weight bandsaws. Metabo has a pretty good reputation, so I suspect you could use a carbide tip blade if you wanted to. Lenox is the gold standard in carbide; I like the Lenox Woodmaster CT but it's choice of widths is limited to 1, 2, and (rarely) 3 inches. The other common Lenox carbide blade is the TriMaster which comes in a wide variety of widths, but with larger carbides and more teeth (which presumably make the blade last longer) it cost twice as much. I run about 25,000 psi tension on my Lenox blades; the woodslicer works best with about 20,000 psi but with a thinner blade, that is a lot less force (the psi is pounds per square inch cross section area of the blade). For comparison, low tension blades tend to run about 8,000 psi.

The length of the blade is the circumference of the wheel (pi * diameter) plus twice the distance between the wheels.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Some years ago I got some blades from US but I don't remember if I specifyied the diameter or the total length.
    Toni, Woodslicers are sold by length. Whole inches and several popular half inch divisions.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Toni, Woodslicers are sold by length. Whole inches and several popular half inch divisions.
    According to their website, you order Woodslicer in custom lengths by 1/4" increments.
    Bill Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    According to their website, you order Woodslicer in custom lengths by 1/4" increments.
    Interesting. I was looking here which is how I order. Oh wait. Doh! I just noticed the Custom Length section. My saws both run "standard" lengths I guess ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

toni the usa blades were from ellis manufacturing better price than some of the others out there and cut well..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!