A "GOOD" Customer Service Rant..........

Stuart Ablett

........yep, I'm making sure that "GOOD" customer service gets it's due.

I have been less than happy with my Woodcraft slow speed grinders performance, it vibrates.

The wheels are the culprits, I think, as no matter what I tried, I could not get them to run smooth, and I tired..... :rolleyes:

I had the chance to try out a nice (NICE) Baldor grinder, same slow speed and boy it was EASY to grind on, man I was amazed. I made the comment that the Woodcraft grinder S-U-C-K-E-D in comparison, but the guy who had the Baldor told me that with just the wheels on the Baldor it was not go great either, so he bought the balancing kit from Oneway, that was the real reason why the grinder ran so smooth, according to him.

I decided that I would pony up the bucks, and get new wheels and the balancing kit, from Oneway.

I contacted Oneway, and soon Peter from Oneway was helping me out with the order, discussing which wheels, and such I needed for my grinder.

I double checked with him, before I finalized the order and the box was on it's way. Nice thing is they gave me a bunch of different options for shipping too, nice.

Well the box arrived today, only took 4 days to get here!! :thumb:

I took the wheels out and I set up the balancer, read the instructions and balanced one wheel, it was straightforward, took all of 5 minutes. I was just about to do the second one, when I noticed the writing on the second wheel....... "3600 RPM MAX".......... :huh: :eek:

Aw man, they sent the wrong wheels!! :doh:

I contacted Peter, and in about three hours he replied, apologized profusely. They are sending out the right set, ASAP, and will reimburse me for the shipping back of the wrong set.

Now, I did not notice the mistake, until after I'd balanced one of the wheels, in which, you have to "mark" the wheels at 9. 12, and 3 o'clock on the wheel..........

high_speed_wheels_marked-1.JPG
.........whoops....... :eek:

Peter said to not worry, they would put it in the "Bargain Bin", and not to worry about it.

Now some may say, that they screwed up in the first place, well they did, and as I run my own business(es) I know, that no matter how hard you try, sometimes, things go sideways.......:dunno:

What matters, to me anyway, is how the mistake is handled, and for this, Oneway gets TOP marks, from me.

They WILL get my business again.

Cheers!

Hi Stu,

I've looked at those Oneway balancing setups too. Glad to hear the good reports on the company service.

But, I'm really curious though, if you have a "slow speed" grinder, and they sent you wheels rated at 3600 rpm MAX, where is the problem? :huh: What is the speed of your grinder? I thought a slow speed one would run at about 1750 rpm, or there abouts.

The wheels Oneway sent should work for any speed, from 2 rpm to 3600 rpm. Please help me understand what you are talking about.:dunno:

Thanks,

Tony

Well Tony, according to Oneway, they have two kinds of wheels, maybe more?

One set for slow speed grinders, and one set for high speed grinders.

They say the "make up" of the wheels differ..........:dunno:

I'll not argue with the guys who make the wheels.

If the high speed wheels would work just as well as the slow speed wheels, why would they go to all the trouble to stock and manufacture the two sets, and the trouble of me shipping the wrong ones back, and them shipping the right ones to me...?

Cheers!

Yeah,

I must agree on that. There has to be something in the abrasive composition that makes the difference.

It's good they are taking care of you well. We have the same issues with having everything "brought in" to the islands. And if it wrong, we have to tolerate the waiting time to make corrections.

4 days is pretty fast to Japan, but that has to cost too. Of course, 4 days is UPS normal time for next day delivery, which cost us an arm and a leg.

Thanks for the heads up on Oneway.

BTW, have you ever tried ordering from the Honolulu Woodcraft store?

Aloha,

Tony

Tony, the 4 days was not UPS, I used Canada Post EMS, it was only $10 more than surface shipping, and was quoted as 8 to 10 days, surface was 4 to 6 weeks, so 4 days was SPEEDY!! :D

No I have tried to order anything from the Honolulu Woodcraft Store, I did not know I could specify a store, I thought it was just one big website??

Cheers!

Hey Stu,
I also own the WC slow speed grinder and it vibrates like mad as well. I called WC and they sent me a new wheel but it didn't really make a difference. I've just been tolerating it but now you've encouraged me to try the Oneway balancers. I'll post back on the results.
Jerry

Well, if the new wheels and balancer kit does not solve it (you need wheels with a 1" hole in them for the balancer kit) then I'll swap out the bearings, the stock ones are from China, I can get the NTN made in Japan for about $3 each :D

Cheers!

Thats great that they took care of the oops for ya Stu :thumb: