fitness trackers

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The can of worms is open. Anybody beside Darren and Brent into fitness monitors? But those guys are 'droid' guys and I'm a Mac gal. So suggestions? Yes, I've read reviews. Too much stuff and too much rubbish to sort of the meaningful stuff.

Not interested in necklaces or hang it on the body someplace. Wristband all the way. I need to get sleep, weight, and BP under control. None seem to display BP, but then I have a separate monitor for that. Do they make one that says "if you eat that, you have to burn a gazillion calories, which means 1,258,324 steps in the next 4 hours"?

I use a Fit Bit that syncs to my phone via Bluetooth. Stacey uses the Nike Fit +Fuelband, better suits her needs. Both track sleep (quality of sleep too), H2O intake, calories, steps, blah blah blah.

None (yet) that will watch your eating habits, but you can connect some to the MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople apps to monitor activity and calories together. If I was to get one strictly for activity, I'd probably go with the FitBit. Several co-workers have them and say they are really accurate, even counts elevation (stairs), which the Samsung Gear Fit doesn't do. Probably won't see one that does blood pressure due to the way it's normally measured.

I had a fitbit one, but it sort of died one day. Just doesn't respond anymore, but I really liked it while it was working.

To be honest, the gear fit has a lot of other functions I like it for above and beyond fitness tracking, like alerts, and other things.

My wife loves her Nike Fuel Band. I believe the newer ones do a lot more than measure activity. Her first one died, she called, and they paid the shipping to return it, and sent her a new one free, got here in a day or two. Super service, especially well beyond the time I would have expected a guarantee.

My brother is an Android user and uses the Fitbit. My mom, is a Iphone user and also uses the Fitbit. So it is multiplatform. Not sure what my brother uses, but I know he has some sort of calorie app and I expect there is one for Mac as well, just my brother got more serious about it (medical reason).

I use a fitbit, although my washing machine may have borrowed it yesterday. Hopefully it will make it through like it did the last time. I love it as you just throw it in your pocket. I think wearing something around my wrist would bug me a bit.
It would probably go through the washer fewer times though.

I use a fitbit, although my washing machine may have borrowed it yesterday. Hopefully it will make it through like it did the last time. I love it as you just throw it in your pocket. I think wearing something around my wrist would bug me a bit.

What did we do to keep track of thing before all this electronic gadgetry came about??

I agree with the wrist thing... I had to stop even wearing a watch because it irritated my arm... I carried a pocket watch for a while 'til the battery died on it, so don't even do that now... I have my dad's old Waltham watch, but can never remember to wind it... besides would hate to lose it... it's got to be 100 years old by now.

I've never had any of those, not even a heart rate counter when I was running 1/2 marathons. My opinion from my deepest ignorance of those items is that no matter whatever you wear on your wrist it will be always your decision what to eat and what exercise to do. Knowing that this week you've eaten too much or that you've been a potato couch, may help, but always the decision is yours.

I'd rather be more concious of what I eat, staying away from carbohydrates, (pasta, pizza, bread and cereals), sugars under any form (ice creams, syrups, sodas etc) and any kind of processed food (which is difficult nowadays) and make regular exercise than rely on a gadget that the only thing that it does is record data and tell me info about my body.

Please don't get me wrong, my friends, I do not want to offend anyone, what I'm saying is that one MUST do something with the info that the gadget gives, and one MUST take decisions, and stick to them. Problably most of you that have it do that, but many people don't.

We all know what we should and what we shouldn't eat and in what quantities, and if we don't there are many books and articles about it for free on the web, and I'm not talking about dieting but eating healthy.

If you feel heavy it is probably because you are overweight, if you can't climb a few steps on a staircase without panting you need to exercise and loose some weight as well, it is as simple as that or so I think.

To finish I want to reassure to everybody that it is not my intention to offend anyone, just in case I offer my apologies in advance.

You're absolutely correct Toni. When I started a couple of months back, I was barely getting 2,000 steps (of 10,000) in each day. That was a big surprise to me as I felt it was a long way over to the elevator. :) It became a challenge to myself of how I could get to 10,000+ steps. I finally, just this week in fact, hit that goal each day. Now I guess I should up the goal to a new level.

I am old school. Besides, nothing is more simple as you just check what hole you are currently using. And it is infinitely adjustable (for more detail); you just add more holes.

mens-belt-297634.jpg