Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 yr values

10 yr values

if you were to get a low angle jack or a low angle smoother, like these
    wood riiver-199, leevalley-245, LNeilson-245
    which would be worth more at ten years from now with good care? and with the close pricing now days which one would you get and why?
    the highland video is nice and then tells you that other planes work better for some of the things these will do.
    what i am looking to do is consolidate to the best of the best and possibly thin out the extras.. but i now have one old 4.5 corrugated that doesnt seem to do the job i thought it would or the operator needs more practice
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	199.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	89502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	245.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.0 KB 
ID:	89503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	034213t.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	89504
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hands down, the LN.

All are good, functional planes, but the LN has more of a 'cult following.'
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I am not sure that I would bother with trying to determine which would offer the best return in investment in ten years. If it is that important, save the money and invest it. If it was me, first consideration would be the one with the best quality and the second consideration, the one made in the USA. Considering the offerings you show, it would be between the Lee Valley and the Lie Nielsen. I think you know which one I have out of those two.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I think the Veritas and the LN would be very close, honors going to the LN. I have the Veritas and it's a very nice plane. The Wood River planes may be nice (or not) but I don't think they'll hold value like the other two.

I do not think that 10 years is enough to convert those planes into collectibles if that is what you are asking, IMHO I think that they would retain about 50 to 60% of the price depending on use or abuse. Why? well... because if I wanted to buy one and it cost about 75% or 80% of the price I would rather buy a new one.
    As it has been said before the buyer wants to buy cheap and the seller wants to sell expensive, but in second hand tools I believe it is more a matter of having the right price at the right time.
    Besides given the present economical situation, people are more cautious when spending their money. From those that you show, I woud keep the LN first.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I don't think of resale value of tools when I buy. Yes I do think of resale value if in the event I need to sell because of life changes and I need to downsize to an apartment or something like that.

That sort of value is not an investment.

In my shop there is nothing that will sell for more than I paid - unless I was a horse trader, which I am. However it will be rare.

On the contrary - the best value in the lowest cost for the best quality on the purchase.

Buy the LN - USED, and pay 50% of new cost. Then -maybe-, in 10 years - maybe- you could sell it for 5-10 dollars more than you paid for it, otherwise it's like a car, a bad investment.

I don't think anyone is going to deny that LN is the more desired of the 3. Personally, I like the LEE VALLEY, but I would certainly buy the Wood River.

On the other hand - I bought a few Bailey planes that I paid $35 for a few years ago. In 1929-1930 they likely sold for less than $35 each. The price increase is not due to increased value, but more due to inflation. Even a loaf of bread costs more today.

As to buy American. That is a very romantic notion, but I would challange any reader here to be TOTALLY and REALLY honest - Do You REALLY - comeon, be honest - do you REALLY buy ONLY American? Television, radio, coffee maker, car, shoes, coat, hat, chair, computer, coffee cup, silverware, floor under you feet, carpet, plywood, hardwood, flashlight, pencils, turners pen kits, dishwasher, lawnmower, coffee table, stuff hanging on the walls, lamps, light bulbs cleaning fluids, etc - look at the labels. If you are TRULY, one of the very few - raise your hand. I am not one, but at least I admit it. That is not to say I would like to be one.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 03-07-2015 at 01:54 PM.

good point toni, and now to find a used LN is going to be a long watch,, calling jim delaney your lucky at finding deals i do try to buy american and local as much as i can, but we all buy other stuff that isnt..

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ...calling jim delaney your lucky at finding deals i do try to buy american and local as much as i can, but we all buy other stuff that isnt..
    I'll keep an eye out, but I haven't seen a used LN plane in a long time - other than EBay, of course, where the resale prices are generally outrageous. Ignoring resale value, I still think the Wood River would be your best bet.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Lie-Nielsen is the gold standard. Several of my friends work for them (manning the show that they take around the country).

BUT for the low angle Jack, there were a few features that the Lee Valley (Veritas) has that the Lie-Nielsen does not have. I found three people who had used both for real work, not just testing. All three voted for the Veritas. Therefore I bought the Lee Valley Veritas. I later found a fourth person, who also voted for the Veritas.

That vote was limited to the low angle jack. I would consider both companies for other planes, but I love that low angle jack plane. I have all three blades, and the "normal" blade is sharpened as a smoother. I never use my Stanley smoother any more.

I do have other Lie Nielsen tools, including their spoke shave and dovetail saw.

What are the extra features? Veritas has set screws on the side to keep the blade centered in the throat. Veritas can open the throat to clean out chips, and go back to the previous setting "instantly." I like the way you adjust the blade angle better on Veritas, but that is a preference rather than a feature of one over the other.

Which has higher value now: Veritas. Which will have higher value in 10 years, probably Lie Nielsen, because of the reputation.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

charlie which smoother did you get the 62 jack or the regular smoother with 2" irons?