Poll: What kind of cordless drill-driver do you use?

What kind of Cordless Drill/Driver do you use?

• Bosch

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • DeWalt

Votes: 64 25.3%
  • Festool

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Makita

Votes: 45 17.8%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • Porter-Cable

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Ridgid

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 22 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an update. A few weeks back I picked up a Dewalt 9.6v cordless drill as a light suppliment to my 18v XRP Hammer Drill. It's done a a decent job for what I have asked it to so far. I would never buy just a 9.6v drill as my only one. With the 18v for the backup for the heavy lifting, I think its a good idea.

I also picked up the 9.6v drill so that when my son gets a little older we can drill/drive screws together.:D There is no way he could hold, let alone use the big 18v monster.

None

Yeah you read my title right, I don't own a single one. Never really needed one, and when I do need one, my corded 1/2 inch Porta Cable and Millwaukee Drill fit the bill. My father thinks its crazy not to own at least one, because he has three, but my drills and hand screwdrivers work just fine.

I have a 14.4 hitachi drill and a 12 dewalt impact driver that I have had sense 1999 and it wont die I got a rebuild kit for the battery and it still works as good as the day i got it.

I have 6 identical 9.6v Makitas (different bit in each used in my assembly task), 3 12v Hitachi impact drivers and a 7.2v Dewalt that I carry with me on deliveries.

I have a Rigid 18v 3/8 and a Ridgid 12v 1/2 ( it was on clearance so I go a good buy).

the 18v is the one I pick up all the time.

I acutally bought the new rigid impact driver but took it back. It was lound and I did not like the control I had over the screw. I will probably try a Bosch ps40.

I use a lot of pocket hole screws for shop stuff and the 18v 3/8 just really works well.

I bought a Ryobi 18v drill & impact driver combo on clearance @ HD for $69 about a year ago....no complaints, but I don't use either everyday. Good bang for the buck if you ask me and Ryobi has lots of other 18v tools as well.

I know this thread is a bit old, but........

Does anyone find it curious that Porter Cable came in so low?

Think about it. Norm is a 30 minute commercial for PC and Delta.

Why would people trend for DeWalt? (a good old name esp. in Radial Arm Saws) I know, DeWalt is part of the b&d etc conglomerate.

I guess my question is why? Personally, I really like my Milwauke stuff, both corded and battery operated.

I just find it curious that not more ppl responded with a PC vote. What do you think?

Joe

I know this thread is a bit old, but........

Does anyone find it curious that Porter Cable came in so low?

Think about it. Norm is a 30 minute commercial for PC and Delta.

Why would people trend for DeWalt? (a good old name esp. in Radial Arm Saws) I know, DeWalt is part of the b&d etc conglomerate.

I guess my question is why? Personally, I really like my Milwauke stuff, both corded and battery operated.

I just find it curious that not more ppl responded with a PC vote. What do you think?

Joe

Joe,

It is interesting that P-C came in so low. I like P-C products, I have a number of them (cir. saw, brad & finish nailers, compressor, and detail sander). I went with DeWalt for my drills for 2 reasons. 1st, the reviews were very good. 2nd, my wife's cousin is a garage door installer, and does some contracting on the side. He swears by DeWalt. His tools get a pounding on a daily basis. I figure if they can hold up to commercial use, they should last a long time for me (home and hoby use).

Frank,

I know it probably doesn't help but please keep in mind that the B&D batteries are normally 1300mAh. The rebuilds would be at least 2100mAh when done affording you almost the same runtime as two B&D batteries. I figured I would at least throw that bit of info out to you. As for the chargers don't use the B&D ones. Get a dewalt charger as it will last a lot longer. The only way this won't work is if you have the new style B&D that slides onto bottom of the handle instead of fitting up inside the handle....hopefully that was confusing enough. I couldn't figure out how to word it better :huh:

PS: Don't go back to the corded drills my children need to go through college yet :thumb:

Jason
www.mtobattery.com

Frank,

I know it probably doesn't help but please keep in mind that the B&D batteries are normally 1300mAh. The rebuilds would be at least 2100mAh when done affording you almost the same runtime as two B&D batteries. I figured I would at least throw that bit of info out to you. As for the chargers don't use the B&D ones. Get a dewalt charger as it will last a lot longer. The only way this won't work is if you have the new style B&D that slides onto bottom of the handle instead of fitting up inside the handle....hopefully that was confusing enough. I couldn't figure out how to word it better :huh:

PS: Don't go back to the corded drills my children need to go through college yet :thumb:

Jason
www.mtobattery.com

Thanks Jason, I think. ;) Yes, the battery description does leave me :huh:. Mine are several years old and are the Fire Storm series, if that helps. DeWalt charges fit B&D? I'll start checking out the junk shops. I'll probably send some stuff to you soon. Right now, budget won't handle four batteries and two charges all at once.

The way I look at it, you are mostly buying batteries and a motor. My Makita's batteries wore out and replacements were more than the cost of a new cordless.

Got a grizz with 2 batteries pretty reasonably. Does a great job at turning screws and stuff, and charges fast. When the batteries were out, I'll look for something else....

Ridgid 24v Lithium Ion. Lightweight and powerful enough for me. Can't beat the Lifetime warranty-replacement on the batteries. Just my 2cents.

Lifetime Replacement on batteries? Wow. Might need to go shopping. Can never have too many drills, right? :dunno:

I thought it was some admin voodoo that had to do with my asking about finding a deal on cordless drills, and my posts have previously been the last one in this thread... :D

What Kind of cordless drill do you use

Over the years I have owned them all at one time or another. All were good
drills, but as they wore out or I just wanted some different brand, I would
buy whatever drill I wanted. I currently have two corded 1/2" drills- a PC
and a Milwaukee for the heavy duty drilling (which is very seldom) My other
three drills are cordless- a 9.6 Makita (with the pod style battery), an 18 volt
Bosch drill-driver-hammerdrill which is part of a kit, and a Milwaukee V18
lithium ion drill-driver-hammerdrill which I didn't really need but couldn't resist
the 169.00 closeout price which was down from 343.00 at my local Home
Depot.

buy new or buy lithium batteries for old

My ryobi set of drills/driver and assorted cordless tools are around 2 years old.
The 4 batteries I have, 1 is gone, 1 is about done, 2 are functioning, not well.
I got one lithium battery for a gift, not sure if I want to or should by another lithium, I dont want to switch batteries in and out, or just buy a new lightweight with lithium. any suggestions as to which way to go, meaning I dont know what kind of new stuff is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.