Poll: What kind of cordless drill-driver do you use?

What kind of Cordless Drill/Driver do you use?

• Bosch

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • DeWalt

Votes: 64 25.3%
  • Festool

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Makita

Votes: 45 17.8%
  • Milwaukee

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • Porter-Cable

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Ridgid

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 22 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My ryobi set of drills/driver and assorted cordless tools are around 2 years old.
The 4 batteries I have, 1 is gone, 1 is about done, 2 are functioning, not well.
I got one lithium battery for a gift, not sure if I want to or should by another lithium, I dont want to switch batteries in and out, or just buy a new lightweight with lithium. any suggestions as to which way to go, meaning I dont know what kind of new stuff is out there.
Why not upgrade to the lithium for the Ryobi? The charger for the lithium batteries will also charge the old NiCads. Replace them one at a time and it won't hurt too much. That is my plan. I have 7 of the Ryobi 18v One+ tools.

I had to hire a fellow to do some work for me at the house. He didn't have a drill/driver with him so I let him use my DeWalt. A little later he left (he quoted me a flat price, not on the clock) and returned with a little green thing he used for the job. He said the DeWalt was just too big and heavy for him. It is heavy, but I use it. BTW, he is about 25 years younger than me. Oh, well.

I know this thread is a bit old, but........

Does anyone find it curious that Porter Cable came in so low?

Think about it. Norm is a 30 minute commercial for PC and Delta.

Why would people trend for DeWalt? (a good old name esp. in Radial Arm Saws) I know, DeWalt is part of the b&d etc conglomerate.

I guess my question is why? Personally, I really like my Milwauke stuff, both corded and battery operated.

I just find it curious that not more ppl responded with a PC vote. What do you think?

Joe

Interesting considering that (I think) Porter Cable, DeWalt, Delta and Black and Decker are all one company....

Interesting considering that (I think) Porter Cable, DeWalt, Delta and Black and Decker are all one company....

i think dewalt has the following they do `cause of two factors; advertising and borg-availibility.
look at the other "high scorers"......

As a result of this thread, I purchased a DeWalt. No doubt, very high quality. On rethinking since I bought it, I should have gone with something else, perhaps Grizzly. Reason, I don't use mine often enough to justify professional quality and price. I'll do maybe one hole a week or so. Plus, I have three others less powerful that I'll use now and then.
However, if this thread is still being used, it must have value. Keep it.

I think that DeWalt is so popular because they can be bought just about anywhere, especially the big boxes. I also believe that PC has a great reputation in tools like routers, recip saws, circular saws and sanders but are not as well known for their cordless drills. From what I see the big boxes tend to promote the tool companies that offer them the best year end rebates.
I use Makita. I have 3 or 4 14.4 drills and impact drivers. I've used Metabo, Ryobi, and Hitachi and to be honest I find them all pretty much the same.

Hi,

Interesting reading. There is a lot of info. there.

Anyway I use 2 Ridgid R8200s They are 12.5v, they are short and small. The keyless chucks are a dream. Both of them are out on virtually every project. They go from low speed to high speed quite abruptly. They drive 3" number 10 wood screws without even a whimper.

I also have a Ridgid 18v R820011. It has a double speed range...variable speed low and variable speed fast. Again, I love the chuck. It is my "Heavier duty" drill. It is heavy for me, however the torque could spin me around like a merry-go-round.

I have a HF 18v. It is slow, about 600 rpm. It is my, "If its going to be banged around, I'll use this one." drill. The chuck is a PIA; it takes two hands, the Ridgids work with one.

If I could have only one, I would choose the Ridgid R8200. They are very handy. I have only hit max torque a very few times.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
IM a bit ticked off at a company like Ryobi.
Ive supported their products for the 3 years Ive been involved in woodworking
(3 years this month, woohoo!)
Table saw, crosscut saw, routers, jigsaw, etc, full cordless set with assorted tools.
They need to loosen up a bit and show the loyal customers we're appreciated, and let us trade in 2 or 3 of the old batteries for a nice discount on the lithiums.
Like half price or something. Obvious they know they have a superior product to offer nowadays, and should make it a bit easier for the loyal customers who've always supported their products.

Having said that, if Ryobi doesnt come through soon, Im going to keep the old drills as a backup with just the one lithium battery, and move on to the lightweight Makita.

Status
Not open for further replies.