Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you charge?

What would you charge?

I'm building a bed, and quoted a price , was just wondering what other would charge made of 3/4 maple plywood and is 3d .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10934154_936796579677962_8904858690363479769_o.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	89542
    Dennis
    https://www.facebook.com/oldyankeeworkshop

Check my facebook page and like it please

this has been asked just recently and the general consensus is 5x the material cost is the simplest formula. wood+sandpaper&consumables+finish+hardware=number x 5=cost
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

This question comes up on woodworking forums every now & then. I think it depends on whether you consider yourself in the woodworking business, or just a hobbyist. From the look of your work, you are or should be in the business. It's beautiful.
    If you're a hobbyist, and a good one, I think materials cost plus $10-15 per hour is reasonable.
    If you're in the business & not charging materials plus a minimum of $25-30 per hour, you're not charging enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Muellner View Post
    This question comes up on woodworking forums every now & then. I think it depends on whether you consider yourself in the woodworking business, or just a hobbyist. From the look of your work, you are or should be in the business. It's beautiful.
    If you're a hobbyist, and a good one, I think materials cost plus $10-15 per hour is reasonable.
    If you're in the business & not charging materials plus a minimum of $25-30 per hour, you're not charging enough.
    Tom the Hobbyist only charging $10 to $15/hr is why Pros have trouble making a living charge what its worth. When I had my wood business going I charged $65/hr and that was over 10 years ago. DONT UNDER CHARGE you are a PRO if you take money for it so you should act like it and not give it away.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I believe the minute you accept a woodworking assignment, no matter how small, for compensation, you are no longer a hobbyist, and you should think like a professional.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I believe the minute you accept a woodworking assignment, no matter how small, for compensation, you are no longer a hobbyist, and you should think like a professional.
    Well put Allen
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

15 years ago, $65 per hour including design time. Design time only, $150 per hour. Plus materials down to the last piece of sandpaper used. All was a spreadsheet along with proven estimated times for each operation. All calculated automatically. Took years to develop that spreadsheet. I was a pro. Did I get that kind of money? Well, I was in business nearly 25 years, so , yes, I did. The time I could not charge for was for marketing efforts. Nor could I charge for marketing costs. That had to be amortized through the hourly charge. How did I make more money? I worked more efficiently. And if I screwed up, I paid big time.

And, yes, one could take the opinion that the $10-$15 an hour guys where taking our business. No, they weren't. Their customers could never be mine. Their customers cost more time and were much harder to please than mine. So to me, they didn't qualify to be customers.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I hired an interior designer to come and help me choose colors. I shopped around - best price I could find was $125 per hour - that is what I paid.

Get your car fixed and it will cost you at least $100 per hour

Hire a contractor and it is going to be about $100 per hour

When I ran my Mr. Handyman franchise I was charging $85 per hour 10 years ago.

Why??? WHY??? Would anyone think the value of work I see in those pictures is valued at only $15 per hour. Sorry but that is an insult. Even $30 is about 3 times too low.

Go to home depot and price out a particle board cabinet with a production made door piece of crap, put together with staples = $300 to $400

I built a cabinet like my customer saw at IKEA, but better than IKEA. I had a professional cabinetmaker evaluate the cabinet and he told me the finish alone would be $1000 and the cabinet would be about $4000. IKEA price was $1200 - I made a mistake and charged the $1200. I make $35 per hour on the job and walked away knowing I made a mistake.

I do handyman work now only as a favor and for a little hobby money and I charge $50 per hour and I make it CLEAR to my customer that they are getting a BARGAIN. I would want to get $50 per hour PLUS 2x on materials, or $1000 whichever is higher.

DO NOT - sell by some materials times some number. Sell by VALUE. That bed is worth at least $1000. If you don't believe me - go and try to get a price for something similar. Don't look at bargain outlets they don't sell the quality you are making. Look at the quality furniture makers and don't be surprised to see stuff like that priced at $4000. It is a custom designed - one of a kind bed.

You are NOT making a wally World piece of Furniture - so don't compare to that market.

DON'T underestimate the VALUE

leo, when i suggested to him to use the material x number ,,, that was from others i know that have alot of experience in the field and are using it successfully now.. carol is a wizard in excell and done well with her plan and still does.. but in my experience i have been in on all facets of it and still have not got to where i wish i could be.. the location is a very big part of costing out work, but we are our own worst enemies, if we are born to be frugal we wont buy frivolous and if we have had plenty we buy what we want, and sometimes a name or color is what will warrant the cost not the wood or smoothness of the finish.. if we were looking for a chair and saw 2 rockers one was in average shape and the other looked new but there were some name on the worn one (maloof) that old one could be 2 times more money and only the ones in the know would pay it. that is how the ikea and the poor finished cabs of other companys get there sales price and looks.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

and then the problem comes in will the client think you are totally nuts or off the wall when you tell them a childs bed made out of plywood is 4000 dollars.
    If one chooses to market his skills to an area of low to middle class incomes, he cannot hold out for 65 dollars an hour pricing.
    He can, but I doubt if he will get any jobs.(this post is not directed at the original poster of this thread, not insinuating his target audience is lower income, Im just trying to make a point for any woodworker)
    people of wealth can afford to pay for hand made custom furniture.
    Human Test Dummy