Thread: Joint Cam

Joint Cam

Anyone used this cam software for doing dovetails?

http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I am not a CNC expert, but I don't recall seeing CNC machines that allow a board to be mounted vertically. I can imagine building a vise like clamp on the end of the table, but will the gantry go beyond the table to cut the vertically mounted boards?
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    I am not a CNC expert, but I don't recall seeing CNC machines that allow a board to be mounted vertically. I can imagine building a vise like clamp on the end of the table, but will the gantry go beyond the table to cut the vertically mounted boards?
    The spindle on mine is setup where it extends past the end of the table by about 4" - 6". I could probably add a spacer between the mount and Z axis to get a few more inches if needed, which is probably what other owners may have to do. However, with the way everyone is building their own cnc machines, one could build a machine specific to this purpose also.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    I built mine with the overhang in mind, too - i can hold up to about 40" boards and reach their ends pretty easy.

Darren, I haven't seen this before - i'll take a look, for sure
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Definately putting that on the must try list.

Mounting a board vertically is something to be planned into the machine design

If the "X" axis has two drives on the rails, the middle of the machine be open and allow a board to be mounted vertically.

Makes me think about putting a "trap door" in the middle of my CNC! Kinda wish I'd a thunk about that before, but I could remodel my system. Just what I need - another project!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Bill thats what first came to mind for me when i saw Charlies good point. Why not just mill a slot and a insert that covers it. Of course it means that slot needs to end up going all the way through the bench. Cool piece of software the guy has created Darren. I would have liked to see him shoot a video of it working on his setup rather than just showing it in drawings in his videos of how it works that are on his site.
    cheers

For many reasons, I don't like the "hole through the table" idea. Not the least of which is workholding - you'll need a way to hold stuff in place - and a way to get in there to do that. Wrenches, clamps, screws, etc all need clearance to fasten. Plus, if your gantry is a closed loop, you would be restricting what moves can be made while something is mounted in that hole (i.e. if it has a bottom crossmember (which would make it very rigid), it would not be able to travel past your board sticking down below). Doesn't seem like a big problem, but could be.

I very much prefer the "hang off the end by 3-4 inches" style for handling vertical boards.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA