Joint Cam

I am not a CNC expert, but I don't recall seeing CNC machines that allow a board to be mounted vertically. I can imagine building a vise like clamp on the end of the table, but will the gantry go beyond the table to cut the vertically mounted boards?

I am not a CNC expert, but I don't recall seeing CNC machines that allow a board to be mounted vertically. I can imagine building a vise like clamp on the end of the table, but will the gantry go beyond the table to cut the vertically mounted boards?

The spindle on mine is setup where it extends past the end of the table by about 4" - 6". I could probably add a spacer between the mount and Z axis to get a few more inches if needed, which is probably what other owners may have to do. However, with the way everyone is building their own cnc machines, one could build a machine specific to this purpose also.

I built mine with the overhang in mind, too - i can hold up to about 40" boards and reach their ends pretty easy.

Darren, I haven't seen this before - i'll take a look, for sure :)

Definately putting that on the must try list.

Mounting a board vertically is something to be planned into the machine design

If the "X" axis has two drives on the rails, the middle of the machine be open and allow a board to be mounted vertically.

Makes me think about putting a "trap door" in the middle of my CNC! Kinda wish I'd a thunk about that before, but I could remodel my system. Just what I need - another project!

Bill thats what first came to mind for me when i saw Charlies good point. Why not just mill a slot and a insert that covers it. Of course it means that slot needs to end up going all the way through the bench. Cool piece of software the guy has created Darren. I would have liked to see him shoot a video of it working on his setup rather than just showing it in drawings in his videos of how it works that are on his site.

For many reasons, I don't like the "hole through the table" idea. Not the least of which is workholding - you'll need a way to hold stuff in place - and a way to get in there to do that. Wrenches, clamps, screws, etc all need clearance to fasten. Plus, if your gantry is a closed loop, you would be restricting what moves can be made while something is mounted in that hole (i.e. if it has a bottom crossmember (which would make it very rigid), it would not be able to travel past your board sticking down below). Doesn't seem like a big problem, but could be.

I very much prefer the "hang off the end by 3-4 inches" style for handling vertical boards.