Drill Press Cabinet - Finished

glenn bradley

I have a wonky schedule this week and so don't have to go in to work until 3pm today. I thought it was a great time to tackle whatever this is lurking under my drill press. I mean, seriously, what is all that stuff!?!

DP-Cab (1).jpg

I have some shop ply that I want to burn up (since dad and I both have pretty much sworn off of it) so I'll use that.. There are two distinct colors so I will try to work around that; I am going for quick here but, it doesn't have to be a total train-wreck :rofl:. I saw up a bunch of panels and put some rabbets and dados in them.

DP-Cab (2).jpg . DP-Cab (3).jpg

There will be some cubbies on each side to straddle the drill press pole. I want the shelves that go in these spaces to be adjustable to I break out the shelf peg jig. I use a strip of tape to remind me which holes I want to use. Not that it has ever happened but, I wouldn't want to drill a hole where it didn't belong :D

DP-Cab (4).jpg . DP-Cab (5).jpg

I want to move along so I am gluing and screwing the carcasses. I prefer to skip the screws, especially where they show but, this method does let me knock out the parts pretty quick.

DP-Cab (6).jpg . DP-Cab (7).jpg

Since I have to stop now anyway, I went ahead and added some clamps. More tomorrow.

Last edited:
:lurk:

Nice idea on the tape to not mess up the pin hole location (luckily I've never made that mistake before either... but just in case :rofl:)!

Are you planning on having the storage attached to the drill presses base or separately mobile?

Are you planning on having the storage attached to the drill presses base or separately mobile?

Currently my DP is on a ballasted base that sets in a mobile base. Its been mobile for many years and has not moved even once. Still, I am not ready to bolt it to the floor yet. This base is designed to set on top of the ballast-base but, will be able to accept casters at a later date to roll out from under the DP table area if and when I need that depth.

SU View.jpg

The bottom part in the drawing is the ballast-base. This elevation would be replaced by casters if and when I make that change. The cavity that accepts the pole also accepts the metal DP base form.

SU View rear.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah - I was kind of interested in how you were going to span the mobile base if you did go that way..

I've been thinking about adding some storage under my dp as well but have on occasion used the extra capacity to end drill things so was hesitant to make the storage non mobile separately from the drill press base. The base is pretty wide for stability reasons but didn't want to make the storage ridiculously wide .. so .. yeah..

Yeah - I was kind of interested in how you were going to span the mobile base if you did go that way..

I've been thinking about adding some storage under my dp as well but have on occasion used the extra capacity to end drill things so was hesitant to make the storage non mobile separately from the drill press base. The base is pretty wide for stability reasons but didn't want to make the storage ridiculously wide .. so .. yeah..

Right there with you Ryan. I hemmed and hawed for so long I finally just went for it. I have only used "extra" capacity for drilling once in many years so, If that comes along and I can't do it by swinging the table to the side, I'll pull the drawers out and lift the carcass off. Given my track record I think I will permanently mount the DP before I need the capacity :crossed:.

Last edited:
Right there with you Ryan. I hemmed and hawed for so long I finally just went for it. I have only used "extra" capacity for drilling once in many years so, If that comes along and I can't do it by swinging the table to the side, I'll pull the drawers out and lift the carcass off. Given my track record I think I will permanently mount the DP before I need the capacity :crossed:.

You do know that by putting that comment in writing, it means that 1 to 2 months after you finish the cabinet, you'll have a project that needs the extra capacity, and swinging the table to the side won't handle it. :rofl:

Ah, the sound of screeching brakes :(. I opened the box I keep my 16" drawer glides in and found 2 sets of 16's and the rest 18's. Placed an order for more glides. While I'm waiting I can sift through the scraps and see if I have enough hardwood to make the drawer fronts. If not, they will be plywood.

Even though I am just pushing through this I take the time to make some of the joinery more interesting. It keeps me from getting bored and it never hurts to practice our on-the-fly creative skills :).

DP-Cab (8).jpg . DP-Cab (9).jpg . DP-Cab (10).jpg

For the sake of expediency I went with pocket hole drawer boxes.

DP-Cab (11).jpg

Everything gets a sealer coat of shellac. I don't have a lot of weather concerns where I live but. no need to let the elements have their way. It also makes blowing the dust off easier if the surfaces are sealed and smooth.

DP-Cab (12).jpg

I don't want to glue the back on the main carcass until I am done mounting the drawer hardware; its just easier ;). I need to get the carcasses out of the way so I just clamp the three components together under the DP and set the drawer boxes inside.

DP-Cab (13).jpg . DP-Cab (14).jpg

I can still keep busy till the slides arrive making the drawer pulls and the top.

Looking good. I put a chip pan on top of my cabinet, but that was before I made the new table for it and worked well for it's purpose. Still comes in handy for storing the cutting fluids and such.

glenn did you make that shelf pin jig? and if so why? and how?

That is a Rockler jig with my modification. Once upon a time I thought the drill bit was problematic. Turned out to be just my drill bit as many others use the jig as originally designed.

Sheet goods projects invariably leave scraps that are too good to toss but, bothersome to keep around. I took advantage of a couple of pieces to add some more clamping squares to my collection. I always seem to want a few more of the small ones. this really messed up my storage solution. I had to swap out the top dowel for a longer one :D:D:D.

Clamping squares (1).jpg . Clamping squares (2).jpg

Last edited:
Brown dropped these off :). I went with over-extension. Guess I shoulda built those last two drawer boxes and prepped the false front material. I'll try to knock the boxes out tonight.

DP-Cab (20).jpg . DP-Cab (21).jpg

Oh yeah . . . and make the pulls . .. doh!

hey glenn what size of hole do you run on the squares?

1-1/4". I sized it so that my regular f-style clamps can grab the hole (with the clamp pad removed) when that is necessary.

The gods of the scrap bin declare that the pulls will be . . . . mahogany.

DP-Cab (22).jpg

I knocked out the drawer box parts and hit them with some sealer.

DP-Cab (23).jpg

I'm gonna break for some chow.

Last edited:
Well I got to second-guessing myself about the drawer fronts so I didn't get much done tonight. I did get the last two drawer boxes built and the pulls roughed out. Is it any wonder that dad never runs out of kindling? I create handfuls of these little pieces sometimes.

DP-Cab (24).jpg

Since I was in an analysis-to-paralysis state, I finish sanded a couple of the pulls and shellaced them.

DP-Cab (25).jpg

I found a piece of cherry that seems to be just enough to do all the drawer fronts. It may win the drawer front pool. I'll sleep on it.

There's times when I enjoy a good meal as much as the next person. Sometimes, like right now, I really would rather finish up what I'm doing in the shop but, a meal's a meal. I can almost hear my drill press stuff whining for their new home.

DP-Cab (26).jpg . DP-Cab (27).jpg

I did get the false fronts cut to size and sanded. I also got the finish on the pulls.

DP-Cab (28).jpg

After I wolf down a meal I will try to get the fronts profiled before I run out of time.