Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: how to tell youre a beginner.

how to tell youre a beginner.

Nothing like a good dose of reality hitting you hard, real hard.
    5 years ago, at a woodworking show in Saratoga springs NY, I saw a candy dish/square bowl turned by Don Orr.
    I thought it was a beautiful piece of work, and I asked him if I could purchase it for my wife.(she was not with me, but I knew she would have loved it, and she did, from the pictures I took)
    Don said he couldn't sell it to me.
    Maybe he thought I was asking for a discount, which I wasn't, I expect to pay for talent.

So back I went to try to turn anything close, remotely close to a don orr square turned piece.

And in the end, Ive done nothing more than create another piece of kindling for the fireplace.

Although this time, I believe I got a little bit closer to the final shape I wanted, but realize I need to start with a thicker piece and glue a block onto the dish to hold it on the lathe, not drill a hole and attach with expanded chuck, give me more depth.
    I had to fill in a tiny hole since I went to deep, but, eh........youre killing me don, I don't have enough years left to get close to what you created.
    heres my feeble attempt , I used some block of Spanish cedar. upside down pic without any finish, (I only applied finish instead of tossing it because I know my daughter will put it on a table and use it for keys or something, she gets mad if I toss anything I make)

that's don's dish on the right.

nobody better be laughing, Im not ashamed to admit Im 3 lightyears away from showing any bowl turning talent.

I think when the finish is dry tomorrow, IM going to attempt to take out more of the center to get closer to the look, probably blow up the piece, but its worth the try, as I look at what I can do to improve it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dish 001.jpg   dish 004.jpg   dish 007.jpg   wood stuff 012 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-13-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Looks good so far, Allen!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Haven't been brave enough to try one of those knuckle busters yet . Looks pretty good to me for a first round, I usually figure I'll have to make a solid dozen of anything before it gets to just the mildly embarrassing stage.

Allen,
    If the first and second pictures are your bowl, you have nothing to worry about... I've been turning almost 15 years and I tell most people that it took me 5 of those years to learn to turn a bowl... I still haven't tried a square bowl yet... I did set one up to do earlier this week, but broke my band saw in the middle of squaring up the blank... so now it's on a faceplate with one side having a cut half way through it... just got the new part this morning in the mail, so will try to finish this coming week.... I still count myself as a beginner.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Looks like you are pretty darn close to me.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

when I got back from lunch(its nice being retired, I can pick up my wife every day and go to lunch with her), I went back and looked at dons bowl again, and rechecked my poor attempt, this time concentrating on hollowing out the out portion of the inside, to get the "wings" on the side to look more curved and higher.
    Sand paper is a friend, and I was able to get the dish to a curvier shape as I desired. My next attempt will be a deeper dish.

I got my cole jaw set for the super nova chuck. I believe it will make it much easier for me to finish and sand the outside of the bowls.

Im currently working on both bowls I got from larry, I let them move and dry for the past however many months.

The bigger one is still kind of cruddy, but Ill see how it turns out.

to refresh, the bottom of the bowl where I had it chucked cracked apart. I drilled a 2 and 1/8th hole in the bottom(I think Vaughn mentioned drill, not turn a hole), it made it less depth for finished bowl, but it chucked up nicely. I just used my orbital to smooth out the cracked out bottom almost to the new hole so no problem mounting it.
    Im pretty new at this, so that was the easiest solution for me.

What I can say about turning, is that time flies when you turn. You lose track when youre working on a lathe, not like flat work.

I got a little more curviness in the shape, first coat now of waterlox.(I have some left over from last project, and this is where Ill finish it off)
    this is the first piece I will sign and date. as you can see, its in my hey, Im a woodturner/bowlturner display area.the first pic I show of it with finish in garage, well, I chucked it up a third time, and resanded the wings to get rid of any straight lines.
    Im not proud of any of it , but Im thrilled my hands and eyes are permitting me to have so much fun.

btw, last pic, the square bowl is drying on top of the cherry bowl I made from the chunk I got from Ted. That bowl came out ok, a few people have asked me about it, so I know it isn't that bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dishbowls 006.jpg   dishbowls 010.jpg   dishbowls 011.jpg   dishbowls 012.jpg   dishbowls 013.jpg  

dishbowls 014.jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-13-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Good looking stuff so far! I'd toss those Cole jaws a far as you can...dangerous!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

We'll get there! I posted one of my misadventures last year, so I'm with you. It's a learning process. I have to learn to turn round bowls first!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I like the bowl Allen, you did a really good winged bowl if this is your first attempt. Well done.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Very nice, Allen!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station