Check both ends

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Working on finishing up some unfinished projects around here today.

Todays project was running cables for Security Cameras, Ethernet, and an HDMI Extension.

This required doing one of my least favorite things around here which is going down in the crawl space.

so I drilled the holes through the foundation, had all the cables ready, and went down to the crawlspace, crawled around and pulled the cables and routed them to the appropriate places.

I go out side and I'm tidying up all of the cables and attaching them to the house.

One particular cable, I found that I managed to route both ends of it through the hole, leaving one of the cables completely un pulled. Think of it as a I pulled both ends of the same cable, leaving a loop outside that was much too short to do any good.

Looks like I get to crawl the crawl space again tomorrow!

If I die of the hanta virus in a few weeks you'll know why.

Heh, haven't run any cables in a while and you're reminding me why I don't miss it. The worst was when I was wedged in the crawl space and had to keep blowing the black widow away from my face with puffs of air because I couldn't get my hands up there and darned if I was letting that cable go after what it took to fish it down there! Still livin so everything's all right.

Yup. That sounds like something I might do. I keep a special set of crawl space coveralls up in the attic for those special times when I feel like looking for huge spiders, old snake skins or leaks around the toilet flanges. Haven't run the camera wire yet, but it's coming. I'll try and keep that loop trick in mind:D

Oh man ... i'm totally with you on the crawlspace hatred. Easily my least favorite home ownership task. So miserable. My neck gets tired of holding up this dense head of mine in short order... it's like doing a constant v-sit in reverse. No, thanks.

I don't mind crawling in tight spaces, I used to practice pot-holing when I was younger. In your case Brent, I would be more concerned about the kind of critters I could find under your home. Specially poisonous snakes or scorpions that like dark and warm places to hide.

I've spent so much time in the crawl space under my house, was thinking about just putting a bed down there.... hopefully I won't ever have to go under again... it's getting too hard to get down and through the little door and I've decided plumbers are cheaper than my back.

Well, The second crawl was easy, Now comes the fun part, putting all the ends on all the cables.

Knowing the way I do things, I would already have the ends on the cables when I pulled them, only to find out I had the male end coming out where I needed the female end, and vice versa. :doh:

Heh, Yeah, With Ethernet cables I generally have a 50/50 chance of getting the ends on right. Good thing I have a cable checker.

At least we got good walkie-talkie practice in. BTW, the entertainment center looks fantastic :thumb:

well thats a good thing but i think your comment about the entertainment center might be a little biased:) but i was impressed with the finish i saw on it the last time some pics were shown .. great color and grain sharon.. now once he gets back to the table .. that will be one sharp piece as well