If you where to build it again, what would you change....?

Dewayne Baker

Do you have a project or projects you have built that have details you would change if you where to build it all over again? I'd like to hear about them or see them if you do. I’ll start by sharing mine.

A few years ago I built a dresser for my son and wanted to incorporate a unique pull design. The inlaid pulls look nice but aren't very practical. They are difficult to grasp and opening the drawer with one hand is nearly impossible due to the tension of the full extension drawer slides.
Dresserprocess033alt-1.jpg

Dresser%20process%20059_zpsl4lwxwth.jpg

I will be building dressers for my daughters soon and will not be using this pull design again. This time I will create one large pull that can easily be grasped with one hand. I considered a recessed finger grab as wooden hardware can be prone to breaking. The pulls will have to be strong and durable, yet deliver that “craftsman flair” I’m looking for.
I have decided on this bent lamination design attached with contrasting dowel pins and long grain to long grain glue up.
Drawerface2alt_zpsda987b14.png

i have been there and have some changes i would make on the latest cabinet i am in the process of,, and on some dressers i have made i made changes from the first to the next batch as well we all try to better ourselves or our projects,, but i need to say that this dresser you shown us is one fine piece of work!!!

Love the look of that dresser but can see how the pulls might be hard to grab. The new handles look interesting, be curious to see how hard it is to get the ends to stick well enough.

A screw from the inside of the drawer (similar to a commercial handle, but a wood screw rather than a machine screw) might be easier and stronger than the dowel.

Thanks for the replies and ideas for the pull designs. I had a member request for more information about the dresser and thought I'd post here for all to read.

I built this seven drawer chest for our new borne son who is now 8. His dresser features quarter sawn white oak with flame mahogany veneered side panels and inlaid accents. The sleigh style dresser was made to complement a changing table I also made for him. This is not your average baby furniture as it’s intended to serve many years of use and will hopefully be handed down as a family heirloom. The construction consists of tongue and groove frame and panel sides. Maple frame and panel dust frames separate each drawer compartment and are received by dadoes in the case sides. The drawer boxes are maple ply edged with white oak and ride on full extension slides. The rear of the case is a frame and panel construction as well making use of the 1/4” maple ply I had left over from the drawer bottoms. The styles that form the front and rear feet are 3/4” thick and flair to 1 1/2” thick at the bottom for added strength in the feet. The finish starts with a seal coat of 1 lb cut shellac then a wipe on finish of a mixture of tongue oil, boiled linseed oil and poly urethane.

Dewayne, that is lovely, but I'd be pulling out the drill and putting some holes into those pulls -- some sort of oval finger opening! :D
I'm sort of with Art, but I be scared to death to pull out a drill and try to modify the pulls! Maybe a jig that hold the drawers on a router table, and rout a recess on the lower side of the pulls.

DeWayne, that is an incredibly beautiful dresser -- excellent work, and I love wood choices and finish. My big fear is that my child would pull a wagon or other toy thru the room and put a ding in that masterpiece!

Would you consider changing the slides? The pulls are too nice for holes. Maybe a dimple on the underside. I am sure there are easy slides maybe for kitchens or toolboxes.

That is excellent workmanship and choice of woods Dwayne.

The pulls are beautiful; it is a crime that they are not working the way you want.

Like a lot of my ideas, there was no thought given to the following. However, it might trigger an idea in your head. How about removing the pulls and use the "circles" as part of a design for a handle that would span the area between the circles. I am betting, however, that the pulls are beautifully glued so they will endure to become a future treasure.

So, another idea---Could the pulls be trimmed in some way so that they could be part of an end design for a single long pull.

It is bothering you---However, it is still a Treasure. People who see it will not even think there is a problem.

Enjoy,
JimB

That is excellent workmanship and choice of woods Dwayne.

The pulls are beautiful; it is a crime that they are not working the way you want.

Like a lot of my ideas, there was no thought given to the following. However, it might trigger an idea in your head. How about removing the pulls and use the "circles" as part of a design for a handle that would span the area between the circles. I am betting, however, that the pulls are beautifully glued so they will endure to become a future treasure.

So, another idea---Could the pulls be trimmed in some way so that they could be part of an end design for a single long pull.

It is bothering you---However, it is still a Treasure. People who see it will not even think there is a problem.

Enjoy,
JimB
I like your way of thinking Jim. However, I will not be changing the pulls on this dresser , they where made to stay there forever and I achieved the look I was seeking. I simply want to make a friendlyer pull next time around. Having to use both hands to open a drawer is a bit inconvient. I am still pondering the method of attaching the new pulls.