Thread: I Just Finished a Computer Backup, Have You?

I Just Finished a Computer Backup, Have You?

This is a public service announcement to remind us all to do a backup of our home systems . . . today . . . why not now?

Since I do incremental backups and do them regularly, this took just a few minutes. I haven't even finished my coffee.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

What do you use for your backups? Online? Local?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

good thought and question? so whats your choice for back glenn?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I use something called Genie Timeline that automatically tracks changes and backs them up to a NAS (network attached storage) device. I've got it running on 4 computers around here.

That does remind me that I need to set something up on my linux boxes as well. Hmmm....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I use a portable 1T Western Digital 'Elements' drive. I have had unpleasant experiences with backup software that requires you to have that software running in order to restore the backup files. Backup software may not even do this anymore but, with storage so inexpensive, I just us Allway Sync which is a free software targeting the synchronization of multiple devices. I don't use a lot of the features. I just configure it to move all new and changed files from my source computer directory to the destination drive directory. If you setup your directory structure . . . I almost said "correctly" how OCD is that!?!

Ahem . . . if you setup your directory structure so that it is hierarchical, you only need to source from the root of that hierarchy. Result = super-simple incremental backups.

I have one drive that goes from home to work to LOML's. It just stays at whichever location was done last thereby creating a pseudo-random, alternate location, site destruction protection methodology
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-15-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Add Link for Drive
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I mostly rely on Carbonite, but do have 2 USB drives that I back up to once a month, one stays up at the shop, other in the fire safe. Probably should consider doing something I can store elsewhere though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

ok for us that dont have all the switches on like you major tec guys,, here is my existing home setup up and what would be the best recipe for a good backup strategy? i have one desktop machine in shop, 2 laptops in house and one desktop in basement. shop to house hard wired with dsl cable, house has router for wireless laptops. would like to have it all covered and the directions on what is needed and the eaasiest way to do it.. back in the old day job we used retrospect and a mirrored external drive. so i do have some insight on this
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have one drive that goes from home to work to LOML's. It just stays at whichever location was done last thereby creating a pseudo-random, alternate location, site destruction protection methodology
    My methodology works for me, but I doubt it would work for most folks, and certainly not for non-technical folks...

1) both mac's at home have external USB disks managed by Time Machine. So I've got my first line of defence there

2) Both my wife and I have DropBox and I will manually copy some stuff into there (tax files annually, budget files when I do budget)

3) I work at a University with buckets of spare bandwidth, so I have a surplus Linux box in my office at work and I have a script that runs nightly at 2am that uses Rsync/ssh to synchronize "most" of the user files on my mac, and my wife's mac to to the Linux box. That gives me an off-site second backup which is somewhat like the "carbonite" type of solution that Darren mention, but homegrown.

Since it is rsync, only the changed files get copied. But the initial backup is huge. I simply brought my wife's mac mini to work so that the first (multi-gig) backup was done locally.
    (I Forget how I handled my imac -- likely just let it run over a couple days on the weekend.)

If I ever change jobs I'll have to think of something else...
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I use an internal backup on each of my PCs, plus an external that backs up critical files from both.
    Got Wood?