OK, again need help!

Chuck Hanger

I am told that no matter what the price that you pay for turning tools that you should immediately "hone" them. BIL is sending me a new Norton oil base honing stone, but still would not know what to do with it other than the straight blades. I can sharpen a pocket knife to shave with, but sure don't know what to do with the rounded nose of the turning tools. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck

I am told that no matter what the price that you pay for turning tools that you should immediately "hone" them. BIL is sending me a new Norton oil base honing stone, but still would not know what to do with it other than the straight blades. I can sharpen a pocket knife to shave with, but sure don't know what to do with the rounded nose of the turning tools. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck

well chuck i am not a turner but have turners sharpen there tools they usually have little jig set up on there slow speed grinder for the bevels on there tools. check out some of the catalogs for one.. and ask one of our resident turners the question they can give you a more detailed answer.

Hey Chuck

For me, the only tool I "hone" is the skew, which is straight, like a chisel.

The other tools, the round ones, the gouges, I grind, I have a jig to do this, that I made.

The industry standard is the Wolverine Jigs made by Oneway, they are very good.

You do need a grinder for this too.

Cheers!

Have the grinder,

Just don't have the right stone:dunno: . Or probably the right speed.:dunno: It is a 8" normal grinder (higher speed than needed???) probably to fast for grinding turning tools:huh: :doh: . No water bath either????:doh: :doh: :doh: Don't really know what to do.:doh: :doh:

Chuck

Thanks Bob

Would you have any suggestions on where to buy these stones? Total loss on this one. BIL is quite a versitural? wood worker, but he also lives in Tenn and I live in Ohio. I have no Idea:dunno: I understand that these fine stones require a much larger arbor than regular grinding stones. Is this true
Thanks for any additional help,
Chuck

Woodcraft sell stones for the 8" grinders.

You have to check the arbor size, the size of the shaft that the stone goes on, there are various sizes, most comon seems to be 5/8" but who knows.

For what it is worth, Oneway actually recommends the highspeed (3600 rpm) grinders for sharpening with their jigs, as they say you spend less time on the stones sharpening. :dunno:

Cheers!

Thanks Stu

I have a high speed grinder, just not the right stone and don't really know where to buy them short of driving 70 miles one way. It is a 3750 rpm so I would assume that it would go into the class of 3600 rpm.:doh: Am I right:dunno: .
Thanks again,
Chuck

Chuck I use both a fast speed grinder and slow speed. Most times when turning I use the fast speed to sharpen. When I am done I usually use the slow speed to put a fine edge on the tools. I use a diamond hone on my skew and can shave with it when done. You can find the white and blue stones at Craft Supply USA and Packard Woodworks.

Chuck.....for the beginner turner you also have to learn to sharpen the turning tools. That can be doubly hard. Stu gave you some good advice. Most of us use the Wolverine jig system and a slow speed grinder. The only advantage I can think of a slowspeed grinder over a fast speed grinder...the beginning sharpener has more time to realize he's taken too much off. Woodcraft sells a slow speed grinder with an 80 grit and 120 grit stone IIRC. It normally runs about $90 but can be bought on sale for $79. The stones that come on that grinder are good. New stones alone can often cost that much or more. A few folks have had minor problems with that grinder but have been able to resolve them. On mine one of the nuts holding one of the wheels on had a problem. The hole in it wasn't square to the surface of the nut thus only about 1/3 of the nut's surface area made contact with the washer clamping the stone. Thus the stone wobbled. Luckily for me it was the nut with the right handed thread so I was able to get one locally at an Ace hardware store.

The jig system will make learning to sharpen much easier and allow you to concentrate your learning on turning.

The stone you want for honing your gouges is called a slip stone. I use a diamond card sharpen to hone the bevel after sharpening and the teardrop shaped slip stone to knock off th burr on the curved inner surface of the flute.

I use the diamond card sharpener to hone my skew.

Good luck!