Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PV glue for bent laminated parts of furniture?

PV glue for bent laminated parts of furniture?

Hi guys.

I want to make a piece that needs some parts to be bent laminated.
    Any of you have atempted to make bent laminated parts for a piece of furniture? What glue did you use? I'have a video where they suggest to use an epoxy two component glue (powder+resin) and warn against using polivinylic glue due to its elasticity.

Have you used PV glue? what results dit it gave to you?

Any suggestion will be appreciated
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Toni, I have used PVA on bent lam, and while I can't prove it they did seem to have more spring back (the elasticity). This could psychological on my part since I don't have way to do 2 glue ups and compare. In any case I switched to plastic resin glue (Weldwood) which has some other advantages (and disadvantages). The drawback: it cures slowly, so it's in the clamps at least overnight....longer in cool temps. Squeeze out can cause nasty cuts. You also have to go through the exercise of mixing for application. The advantages: It dries rock hard (it's a sandable glue) and has a longer open time, allowing you a more relaxed assembly time for clamping. It also has no glue creep like PVAs, that can be important on some pieces, less so on others.

another vote for Freds choice: plastic resin glue (Weldwood)
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've done quite a bit of bentwood lamination with a variety of woods. PVA (yellow) glue will cause more springback because it's relatively soft. I've seen it on a couple of things I made but it wasn't a killer due to the type of project. I experimented with plastic resin glue on the same pieces to see how much difference it made and there was no springback. That convinced me to use nothing but plastic resin glue for any bentwood work I do.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Another vote for plastic resin, zero spring back.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

Weird timing on this one.

I have been watching a video series on FWW and Michael Fortune is building a garden chair using bent lamination's. He uses PVA and when he takes the glue up out of the form, he adds a clamp back over the top for another 24 hours. Not a lot of tension, just enough to keep it's shape. He feels the water induced from the glue causes the spring back issue. From what I have seen so far of the video, he could be right.

I also watched another set of videos doing bent lams and the plastic resin was used. I dries dark and the user didn't like the look as he was using a light spices of wood

Update, I went and looked, the user that didn't like the Weldwood changed to Unibond 800. It comes in a couple shades and is easier to match the wood species being used
    Last edited by Steve Southwood; 03-17-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Ok guys thanks a lot. Fred, thanks a lot for the link to Welwood in Amazon in this way I can get it here, and shipping is not so expensive. I just placed an order.

Thanks again to all.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

That's a good point about the plastic resin glue drying dark, I forgot about that. You can get agents to lighten the color but they aren't exactly down at the box store. I got some from Veneer Supplies with some glue I bought from them.

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    That's a good point about the plastic resin glue drying dark, I forgot about that. You can get agents to lighten the color but they aren't exactly down at the box store. I got some from Veneer Supplies with some glue I bought from them.
    How dark? I will be using a padauk which is quite dark and reddish, or maybe oak.
    Best regards,
    Toni

I doubt it will be a problem with paduak. On the oak it's possible you might not be happy with it, though it didn't bother me. But my use was on rockers for a chair. I have a fair amount of the lightener left (the glue is long gone). I can mail you a few ounces if you want. It's just a white powder, looking all the world like flour. But for the actual color of the glue, I would call it a light brown.
    Last edited by fred hargis; 03-17-2015 at 06:12 PM.