How do you sign/brand your work

I use an electric branding iron on most items - got it at Rockler. For small things, I use a fine permanent marker and sign my name and the date.

get a marker that has permanent or archival ink.. they make some that have a real fine point john.. and i would think after finish would come out better than before because of the bleeding on the wood. i use a burn type brand that i had made up by my buddy Tom.. if you can come up with a logo thats the best route i think but maybe on your thin bottoms maybe not, you need to exert some pressure to get a good burn.

the
PENS

Last edited:
Sharpie with this message, room permitting...

Custom made for
John & Mary Doe
By Charlie Plesums
Austin Texas
March 2015

My ideal time is after the sanding sealer so it remains crisp, but before the finish coats. Now all I have to do is remember to do it at that point.

I bought a branding iron, one heated by a torch. It works fine, but I find I seldom use it. I do scroll saw pictures now and on most there is no place to brand. I have an alternative I want to play with but haven't found time to try it yet.

I bought a branding iron, one heated by a torch. It works fine, but I find I seldom use it. I do scroll saw pictures now and on most there is no place to brand. I have an alternative I want to play with but haven't found time to try it yet.

One thing I've done on a couple of items is use the iron to brand a "badge" of veneer and attach that to the back of an item.

I have made thin 1.5 inch diameter rounds with laser engraved text that can be set into a counter sunk hole on the item.

Plan B - Send me a small piece of the work and I can laser engrave (in some hidden spot) about anything on it.

For just an item or two by prices are better than reasonable. Usually just enough to cover shipping.

Now if you want to do 50 or 100 items I would need to charge something.

Is that one of yours Ted? That's a sweet call. I like the recess in the bottom.

Yup...it's one of mine, but I haven't turned any since these. I seem to be running out of friends who hunt. Somewhere out in the shop there is a box of blanks and slate/glass/crystal just waiting to be discovered again. I almost went and looked after you posted your collet chuck method, but I got distracted by the iBox jig:D