Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: miniature ebony knots - and crochet hook

The Gorge Area, Oregon

miniature ebony knots - and crochet hook

Speaking of ebony.. I picked up a 50 pack of pen blanks on sale for cheap and recently got a proxon 50/e micro Carver so put the two together to see what I could come up with. Pocket knife for scale is about 2.5" long, squares in the background are a standard chess board. Hopefully the pics are visible, I took them with the cell phone before these went to their forever home.

Knotted button with full through holes, maybe a bit rough/dark crystal looking close up but kind of a cool hammered metal feel to it in real life:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150318_175606878.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	89729

Mini Crochet hook/charm:

Name:	IMG_20150318_175522677.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	89730

Backside of both:

Name:	IMG_20150318_175451007.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	89731

This was out of one blank, and I have one more knotted button about the same size and smooth crochet hook in progress from the same piece (plus a few little scraps), hard to imagine having this much fun with $0.50 of material any other way

Worst part was laying it out, light wasn't great and I think I need a white pencil or something. So hard to see the layout at this size!!

Very cool Ryan. What about some cufflinks?
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Delton, Michigan
    now that is some intricate carving ryan. what brand is that pocket knife? looks like a buck.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yorktown, Virginia
    Holy mackerel! Way cool, Ryan....and no blood spilled? I would have drilled a hole in my fingers for sure.

S E Washington State
    Love the mini-carving. Like Ted, I'd have several band-aids on my fingers, the ones left. Nice work.
    "We the People ......"

Thomasville, GA
    Very nice work, Ryan! I'm glad you have the eyes and patience for that kind of item - I sure don't!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    now that is some intricate carving ryan. what brand is that pocket knife? looks like a buck.
    The knife is a H. Boker & co Solingen, it does look like some of the buck knives though. It's my favorite whittling knife since the blade layout is setup fairly good for it.

Good light is definitely needed to avoid tragedy here, I've only been able to work on these when the sun is out, or oddly after dark the overhead artificial works better. Diffuse daylight though is just impossible.

The little mini carver is relatively forgiving so I'm not actually in that much fear of my fingers, and for 98% of the work I have it clamped in a wooden clamp as well (only cutting the piece free at the last minute).

Hmm cufflinks, I don't have any shirts that would use those but I do have a couple of little off cuts about the right size maybe someone I know could use a pair.

St. Mary's, Georgia
    Looking good

If you are going to make something nice, make it with a statement, use quality an do it right the first time

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Very cool
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

GTA Ontario Canada
    Nice carvings Ryan, how hard is ebony ? I have no clue. Will have to look up what that proxon 50/e micro Carver is .