Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious - Do you know?

Curious - Do you know?

I was going through my parents/grandparents "stuff" and came across some interesting items that I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of. They look to be BBQ/Carving utensils

The two with black handles definitely say "Craftsman". Could not find anything readily online. Guessing they are all 60-80+ years old.

The other three have absolutely no brand name or any other marking to indicate they were "manufactured". My grandad was a big time hunter (only way to survive in the depression days), so I'm wondering if they were antlers fashioned into tools needed.

Would be curious if any of you have ideas or have seen items like these before. Sorry they are not cleaned up yet, but Brent is about to go do that

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBQ_Carving.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	89774

the antler ones look to be done very well for home made.. but the knife looks like it hand forged so they could all be homemade.. but i see them as cutting the easter ham or thanks giving turkey not just BBQ utensils..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That many years ago, I don't think they are BBQ. Weren't many BBQ's back then. I think they were carving utensils for turkey, ham and roasts.. at the dinner table or in the kitchen. Nice ones. I seen forks before like the antler one with the two doodads just before the handle, fact I think my wife had one in some of her treasures..
    "We the People ......"

The thing with the antler ones is that the turnings at the neck are not consistent (hence thinking hand made). And the only thing we can figure out about the do-hickey on the fork is to keep the tines from sitting on the counter.

Reminded me of the old German carving sets. Similar to those shown here: https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...w=1088&bih=541

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Reminded me of the old German carving sets. Similar to those shown here: https://www.google.com/search?q=vint...w=1088&bih=541

Ted has it right..... Ding-ding-ding....

My parents bought a similar set in Germany in the late 1960's when we lived there. My in-laws did the same in Germany in the late 1960's. I can't remember the manufacturer right off hand, but they are still made and we bought them a current set a few years ago. They are a Turkey carving set......used at Thanksgiving mostly.....

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I'm no help in the id'ing of them, but they sure would great on a 'table someday'....
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

The things that look like rods are actually knife sharpening tools. I don't know what they are called but they are common place in a commercial or many home kitchens.

The forks are common carving utensils.

The knife is an over sized carving knife.

There is no doubt that could be used to dress a deer or something like that, though I am not a hunter and have never dressed anything larger than a few dozen chickens, and many hundreds of salt water fish.

Sharon
    I have a set just like the one on the right that my dad gave many years ago. They are meat carving sets. The tang on the fork is to elevate tines from the table cloth. The rod is a sharpening steel. The knife really gets a fine edge and really do a fine job of carving.
    David

Thanks everyone. I'm just curious why a manufacturer wouldn't take claim to them.

They will definitely get cleaned and sharpened up for use on the turkey on my new dining room table come November