Using a Joystick with the CNC

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I know some of the controller software has joystick capabilities, but like on Mach3, only X and Y are supported from what I could find. I've got a Microsoft sidewinder joystick, which happens to have several other buttons, sliders, and additional axis pivots.

2015-03-21 22.42.43.jpg

I've been using the JoytoKey app (http://joytokey.net/en/overview), which lets you map those extra buttons to functions in your control software, which includes using one of the other pivots to control my Z axis as well.
2015-03-21 22.43.25.jpg

I haven't upgraded to the latest version, but looks like they've added some auto setup features.

I use a shuttle pro.

LOVE it -

At work on the industrial machines we have pendants.

The shuttle pro is close but not all the way there.

There are Mach3 pendants out there that come really close to the industrial pendants.

One fine day - I will upgrade to a pendant.

I had a joy stick at one time, before the shuttle pro. They just don't have the level of control I like to have.

With the shuttle pro - I can have a one click = one thousandth if I want.

A lot of people use Shuttle Pro.

Mach3 website has a plugin for the shuttlepro.

I like the MPG in the link. That is more like the industrial machines. I would not know how to make it work - that is not something I have any intelligence about.

On the industrial machines there generally is a switch for the axis selection and another switch for increment per click on the dial. Generally the smallest increment is .0001 - then .001 - then .010 I would think on a CNC router the increments would be smallest - .001, then .005, then .010.

It ma be tempting but I would not do an increment at .100 If you are close to something the .100 can cause damage. Even at .010 in the big boys - I have broken carbide cutters.

I use the "Xbox 360 for Windows" controller. There is a mach 3 plugin and I have it configured for the left thumbstick to do XY axis and the right thumbstick to do Z axis. The Mach3 plugin is reliable and easy to configure. You just need to make sure that you get the Windows version of the controller.