Fluid ounces to metric

Rob Keeble

I am trying to work something out related to fluid ounces for diluting dye.

In the process i had a flashback to my youth in SA which always bothered me and thought heck lets get this out the way.

Growing up we had coke/pepsi in small bottles there were two sizes one called king size. But at the time we were still on the imperial system and also had a bottle size which would be bought as a treat when a group of kids/family were going to be around.

Boy I feel old writing this.:rofl:

Now a king size coke was a task back in the day to get through drinking.

But i do not know what size the family size coke was. I have found conflicting information which when i convert it does not make any sense.

My reference point for this is the fact that when we switched to the metric system it was only later that we got the plastic large 2 litre cokes. Now we called them 2 litre but i am not certain if they were indeed 2 litre in volume what i do know is that they were a heck lot larger than a family size glass bottle. Before 2 litre plastic bottle came out we had a 1 litre glass bottle and that was larger than family size by a fair bit.

So i am seeing family size on the web being rated at 26 ounce which would put it at around 738ml to 768 ml which meant the litre bottle was a significant step up.

So if I am correct in my understanding the 2 litre was the beginning of the super sizing of the portion being sold and purchased in our neck of the woods.

I distinctly remember thinking family size was huge and the litre was enormous.

So something has gone wrong with either my understanding of sizes or my calculations or mere perception has been moved when we look at a 500ml bottle of water and its kinda the standard.

when i was a kid you would never had drunk 500ml of water or purchased a drink that large. If my understanding is correct that is 16 ounces.

Or has this got to do with selling liquid by weight as opposed to volume. Help me out please. Metric is so easy to work out.

I now wish I had on of my moms tea cups from back in the day to measure what portion a tea cup was then. It sure was not a large mug.

Thanks bud so does that mean you guys ever had a 34 ounce bottle of coke or pepsi available or was this another corporate stunt like cigarette companies getting poor hooked on their product. Whats the fluid ounce size of your 2 litre coke bottle equivalent is it 68 ounces?

Rob,

You mentioned DYE.

I use transtint dye and wanted to mix only what I wanted for the application and needed to convert the whole think to tiny quantities.

I also use a calibrated applicator from McMaster that looks like a hypodermic and is in ml.

I build a spreadsheet so I could enter the final mixed quantity I wanted, and what I needed in ML and in water - or DNA.

The spreadsheet is on my shop computer and I will dig it up when I am in the shop later.

OK - I'm back from the shop - hope you didn't hold you breath waiting

I made this chart a couple of years ago and it has worked fine several times for me.

I cannot upload an Excel Spreadsheet ????

OK - I took a screenshot - hope you can read it.

If not - I will email the spreadsheet to you

Transtint Mixture Chart.jpgTranstint-1.jpgTranstint-2.jpg

hey jim, i quess my eyes are cloudy:) but a normal bottle of pop here says 16.9 ounces but maybe thats a half litre? and i did read a 2.1 gt on the 2 litre bottle

In some countries coke and similar products are served in small cans - I guess about 250 ml. I about choke when someone asks if I want to share that "sample size" can with my wife. I guess I have come to assume I will have a coke when I am really thirsty, not when I want a "special drink."

As I understand it, a fluid ounce is a VOLUME measure, not a weight. It is defined as the volume of an ounce of water, but if you have lighter fluids (gasoline, oil) or heavier fluids, it is still the volume of that ounce of water, no matter whether it is heavier or lighter.

I am trying to work something out related to fluid ounces for diluting dye.

In the process i had a flashback to my youth in SA which always bothered me and thought heck lets get this out the way.

Growing up we had coke/pepsi in small bottles there were two sizes one called king size. But at the time we were still on the imperial system and also had a bottle size which would be bought as a treat when a group of kids/family were going to be around.

Also to remember:

Imperial oz is not equal to US oz.
Further confusion follows for cup (10 vs 8 oz), pint (20 vs 16 oz), quart (40 vs 32 oz), etc.

Last edited:
I use 10ml veterinary syringes (from Tractor Supply) to measure my Transtint. At an ounce to a quart or liter (per TT directions) that equates to about 15ml to a pint, or 7.5ml per half pint or kitchen measuring cup.

That's for 'full strength' concoctions. I often make half or quarter strength mixes, or use two or more dyes in one mix, so the syringes allow for very precise measuring.

Actually, Larry, One Liter equals 33.81 ounces, or one quart, 1.81 ounces. So, a two liter bottle equals 2.11 quarts, and yes, Rob, it's a ~68 ounce bottle.

Except in countries on the British system, wherein a quart is 1.14 litres, and a gallon is 4.54 litres. The British fluid ounce is slightly smaller (I think) than the US fluid ounce, so you may want to google that one. I believe the Imperial fl. oz. is 28.5 ml. but that could be the US one. Either way, it's close enough.

When Coke came out with the "King size" (dum-dumdum King Size Coke has more for you...") it was a 10 oz. bottle, as the previous Coke bottle had been 6 oz. The family size bottle at the time was 26 oz.

French Canadians were called "Pepsis" back then, because they preferred the Pepsi bottle, which was always 10 oz. to the 6 oz. Coca-Cola bottle, which was preferred by the snobbish maudit anglais (damned English.)

There is a piece of software that you can use to convert any measure into any other one called MasterConverter. It is free for use with a delay of a few seconds for unregistered versions, it is the best one I've used. Make a search on the web and you'll find several places to download it.

When I was a kid growing up in the 40's & 50's, in my part of the world, we most often preferred the R.C. (Royal Crown cola) because for the same price as a Coca Cola, you would get nearly twice as much..... you know the saying... "I'll have an RC and moon pie." (and yes I'm from the backwoods of Texas)

Plus, when I was a kid, we most often were not allowed to have coca cola as it was supposedly "too strong" ... some claimed a coke would "dissolve" a 10p nail.

I'm totally confused now that I read through this. Thanks, something to ponder all day,,,, over and over again..

And is it called, Coke, Pop, or Soda? When I was a kid any soft drink was pretty referred to a coke for some reason. Got older is was pop and years after my kids went away they started calling it soda... Where I'm from you said soda, you got looked at funny...

Now that I'm old, I say Cuddy Sark.... got to preserve the body.

Last edited:
When I was a kid growing up in the 40's & 50's, in my part of the world, we most often preferred the R.C. (Royal Crown cola) because for the same price as a Coca Cola, you would get nearly twice as much..... you know the saying... "I'll have an RC and moon pie." (and yes I'm from the backwoods of Texas)

Plus, when I was a kid, we most often were not allowed to have coca cola as it was supposedly "too strong" ... some claimed a coke would "dissolve" a 10p nail.

Water will dissolve a 10p nail if you live it in it long enough.