Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a suggestion on drilling holes for bottle stoppers

looking for a suggestion on drilling holes for bottle stoppers

If I use an 11/32 drill bit for either penn state stoppers or niles stoppers on wood, its fine. I get a tight fit to use my bottle stopper chuck.
    If I use an 11/32 bit on inlace acrylester its too tight, if I try to force it, the hole chips out.
    If I use an 23/64th bit, the hole is too big for inlace acrylester.
    I tried to use tape over the chuck screw to make it tighter, doesn't work, so now I have 3 blanks that are unusable, but I haven't disposed of them yet, figured Id fill in the holes eventually with something and then redrill.

whats the solution, something simple Im missing?
    Human Test Dummy

Do you use a tap to match your chuck's thread?

Ed beat me to the question. I've always used a tap to cut threads in the hole, especially in acrylics or other plastics. (Don't recall what size the tap or the holes are...been a while since I made any bottle stoppers.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    (Don't recall what size the tap or the holes are...been a while since I made any bottle stoppers.)
    Me neither ... and we made some Niles stoppers yesterday. At least I remembered to wake up this morning.

I don't have a tap.
    I never had a problem with regular acrylics, seems only the inlace acrylester drives me up a wall.

having read ed's response, I think Ill order the niles tap set for future use, have the right size and all.

its been too cold to do much work out there, so I decided to make a couple of dozen bottle stoppers and not make them again for a while, just keeping busy.
    Human Test Dummy

Unlike wood, Inlace (don't know why you bought that crap!) has no ability to expand or contract. Niles uses a 3/8-20 drill bit/tap so where the 11/32" or 24/64" show up at, well...
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Unlike wood, Inlace (don't know why you bought that crap!) has no ability to expand or contract. Niles uses a 3/8-20 drill bit/tap so where the 11/32" or 24/64" show up at, well...
    well, dad, I didn't know much difference betweens plastics when I first decided to turn acrylic bottle stoppers, so it looked good, I purchased a bunch.
    my other problem is that I started making only PSI bottle stoppers, but then purchased 30 niles ss stoppers at last years show, and they require a bit different hole, but Ive been ok with wood other acrylics, using 11/32 on wood, 24/64 on acrylic.

I haven't looked at the niles site, but will get to it. I also cut my blanks short, to get 3 stoppers out of each blank, so when I drilled the hole, I couldn't flip it and turn away the other hole, too shallow.

Its a learning process for me.........and Im learning to ask first because acrylic blanks are expensive, eventually, Ill work on making my own...not ready for that yet....soon though.

I don't have anymore inlace left, maybe a pen blank or two.
    Human Test Dummy

Could you fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill, when you get the Ruth Niles tap?
    "We the People ......"

The stopper chuck sold by PSI has a 3/8" screw and comes with a 23/64" drill bit. That leaves only 1/128" of material for the screw to grab. I emailed them about the issue, but they have so much stock they can't make a change. I use a 5/16" drill bit to drill a hole in a blank, then tap it with a 3/8" tap; that leaves plenty of material for decent threads. That process works in wood and acrylic for me.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I do the same as Bill. 5/16" bit and 3/8" tap. Have had some failures on some punky maple, but nothing else ever. If the wood is punky, I now drill it, cut with the tap, soak in a bunch of CA glue and then re-cut with the tap. That will work about 80% of the time for punky wood.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website