Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Longworth Chuck...recommendations please.

The Longworth Chuck...recommendations please.

So my neighbor has gotten into turning bowls, or is looking to turn bowls, and stopped by and saw I had the cnc going again. He was asking about if I might be able to cut out parts for a Longworth Chuck (http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2010...ngworth-chuck/) for him. Not really knowing much about them I told him I'd look for a design that might work on my machine.

Well after doing a little research, it appears these chucks quite often let loose of the object they are holding as they are made to hold something symmetrical, which in many cases don't have something symmetrical chucked in them. It also appears they can cause injury when doing so.

So, what do I tell my neighbor, any better recommendation of a way to hold items in the same manor? Or can they be used and are there safer ways/designs of them (please keep in mind he is a lawyer, so I'd like not to get sued )?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

what does one cost to buy darren? if its not real high suggest that instead of the chance of injury..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    (please keep in mind he is a lawyer, so I'd like not to get sued )?
    Right there he disqualified himself to be your customer and anyone you would do a favor. Tell him, given the liability regarding these chucks, he has two options; build the thing himself or buy one from a manufacturer who already has the product liability insurance in place. That way he has the opportunity to see for himself how much cost is added to a product because of the propensity of lawsuits in this country.

I said it nicely.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

i missed the lawyer part,, yup not interested in doing it period..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Mine came with the Penn State chuck I bought at the MLCS store in Philly last year. I have two sets of Longworth jaws, as I sold the chuck I'd had previously with my old lathe, and forgot to include the spigot jaws or Longworth jaws, and now I don't know how to get in touch with him to let him know I have them. The jaws are no good without the chuck, of course. The chuck with the extra jaws was not expensive, but has worked well for me. Penn State has it on sale for 84.95 at present. It is on their page under "Economy 3 and 4 jaw chucks."
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 03-27-2015 at 07:56 PM.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Well, I appreciate the guidance there, but again, it's not doing the work I'm concerned about, more so for his safety and being able to recommend a better alternative. He is a friend and fellow woodworker, so what safe alternatives are there for him to do the same tasks as the Longworth chuck provides? I didn't know if there was a safer version of it, or different hardware that might make it safer, or if there is a different chuck style he should consider instead.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    S

it appears these chucks quite often let loose of the object they are holding as they are made to hold something symmetrical, which in many cases don't have something symmetrical chucked in them. It also appears they can cause injury when doing so.

..I didn't know if there was a safer version of it, or different hardware that might make it safer, or if there is a different chuck style he should consider instead.
    Not really.

One of my best friends teaches woodturning and it happens that this week his class is being introduced to the Longworth chuck. His caveats are a really well balance piece. Use this chuck only for turning the bottom and use it with the tail stock against the work piece until the very end. Then hand carve off the tiny tenon left over. Also, very light cuts. If you need more information, I'd be happy to ask him to share his lecture notes.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I have seen those in the catalogs and online and honestly did not like the setup. Seems to me they can't hold a piece as secure as a regular set of Cole jaws would. Can't the stops slide loose or something? Sure looks like it. I personally would steer him away from that. Just my opinion. I use a smaller set of Cole Jaws and then a larger set. Both are on separate chucks so I don't have to go changing things around every time I turn around. But, everybody has their opinions, especially the species you are helping out.

Using the tail stock seems like a really good idea. I'll have to remember to do that.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Thank you all.

Dave, I was wondering about the cole chuck, just couldn't remember the name of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    If you need more information, I'd be happy to ask him to share his lecture notes.
    I'd really appreciate that, thank you Carol.
    Darren