just for fun

I know I'm not been real active here of late. Between working all the time, and this puter on it's last leg not sure I can post pics but I'm gonna try.:) This is a piece of cherry burl, 5 x 4 that I ruffed out about 3 months ago. Turned it yesterday, not having any idea what It would become but this is what it wanted to be I guess.:)001 (800x581).jpg002 (800x625).jpg003 (800x667).jpg004 (754x800).jpg005 (800x707).jpg

That's fantastic! I'm glad it wanted to be that because its really nice.

Love the shape, not entirely sure what it reminds me of but it works really well with this piece.

That sure is pretty... better than anything I could do.

People who work with mesquite (me for only a few months now) often fill voids (like the cherry burl sap pockets) with black or other epoxy. Have you (or any others on the forum) considered epoxy fill on woods other than mesquite?. After it is filled and cured, it turns and finishes fine.

Thanks all. This like I said was just to get me back out in the shop, and get rid of a little stress. Charlie I've used different kinds of fill on a number of pieces. My normal fill material is key shavings, though I've used other stuff also. On this I just wanted to leave the cracked look as some times I just like it.:)

Where do you get key shavings? Local locksmith?

If you don't want the free local stuff, try https://www.turtlefeathers.net/product-category/inlace-products/metallic-dust/

Inlace makes the imitation Turquoise that so many people like to use as inlays, but imitation so it can be cut, planed, and sanded. They also make metallic dust in many colors to add sparkle. Turtle Feathers is the distributor that carries their entire line. As Stephen says, a little goes a long way so the sample set may be a lifetime supply of each color. The $9 bottle of silver I got to meet a customer request is so much glitter that each time I open it enough escapes to make it seem like a teenage girl was in the shop.

Gorgeous piece of wood, Steve, although I'll admit the shape doesn't really send me. (The "bag of sand" form is a tough one to nail.) Despite my personal preferences, you did your typical high quality job with the curves and the finish. :thumb:

...Have you (or any others on the forum) considered epoxy fill on woods other than mesquite?. After it is filled and cured, it turns and finishes fine.

I've used black epoxy or clear epoxy mixed with ground up charcoal to fill cracks and voids in all sorts of wood, including mesquite, ash, maple, walnut, eucalyptus, and a bunch more.