Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you had anything like this happen with Grizzly?

Have you had anything like this happen with Grizzly?

I tried to buy a band saw from Grizzly and have it shipped to me. After I placed the order I got an email stating it would be up to me to unload the band saw. I called to get more details from Grizzly. In the mean time I got an email from the shipper telling me when it would be delivered. Grizzly tells me that I didn’t pay the extra cost for the lift gate on the truck so it would be up to me to get the band saw off the truck. To clarify I asked if what the lady was telling was that I would have to get on the truck and lower the band saw to the ground and then get it up the driveway. She said yes. She then said if I would have paid for the lift gate the driver would have lowered the band saw to the ground for me and left it in the street. The driver is not authorized to move the saw up my drive way. I asked if the insurance company was going to be ok with me working on the truck and she replied they have nothing to do with it. I told her this was crazy. I paid to have the band saw delivered to my house. She stated it was my problem since I did not pay for the lift gate. I asked for the shipping companies name so I could arrange something with them, since she was telling me the band saw had already been shipped.

I called them and got a nicer lady to talk with. Much nicer actually. The delivery company was SAIA. The lady at the shipping company told me they don’t charge extra for the lift gate and that a truck delivering something like this would come with a lift gate. it weighs 800 lbs. She was suprised Grizzly was charging for something they just do as part of the delivery. She also stated the driver would help me as much as possible. I asked if the driver was instructed to leave the saw in the street and the rest was up to me. She actually laughed and said her company does not leave frieght in the street and is not in the business of being rude. She assured me that the driver would not require me to enter the truck and would help as much as he could. She did tell me that he could not enter my shop and set-up the saw. Dang it.

I call Grizzly back to let them know I have everything under control. They had already canceled the order, but the saw was already in my area and I would have to pay shipping. What? I asked them not to cancel the order because I have talked to the delivery company and worked everything out with them. They couldn’t do that. I told them I would not pay shipping on something I didn’t receive and that I would call my credit card company to deny the charge.

A couple days later the delivery company calls and says the saw has arrived and they want to arrange a time to delivery. I explained the whole situation to the lady on the phone and she did some checking. It was the same person I had talked to a couple of days earlier. She looked up my record and told me that the saw left Grizzly that day and arrived in my area the same day. I don’t live real far from Grizzly. About 3 hours. Grizzly had told me it shipped three days before and that’s why I would have to pay shipping. Called Grizzly and asked if I could still get the saw deleiveried becasue the delivery company was calling me. I should have just arrange a time with the delivery company and left Grizzly out of it. I was told if I still wanted the saw it was no problem. I called SAIA back and tried to set-up a time for deleivery. I was told that Grizzly had called about an hour ago and told them to send the saw back. By now I am tired of messing with this.

That weekend I drove to Grizzly and bought the saw and had it loaded in my truck.

This has all been several months ago if not a year. A couple of days ago I tried to order a few router table insert rings for my Grizzly table saw(router table extension). I completed the order on the Grizzly site which billed me through Amazon.

Today I got this email from Grizzly. Funny yet irritating. Grizzly's non-customer service ruins their product.

Thank you for ########.
    While we appreciate your continued interest in our products, a previous transaction / communication with you lead us to conclude that it would be mutually beneficial for us to discontinue our business relationship. Accordingly, we are unable to process your order, and will not be able to accept or process future orders.
    Sincerely,
    Kimberly
    Grizzly Industrial, Inc.

I think this ought to be forwarded to Grizzly customer service. I had always though their customer service to be stellar. Hate to think I was wrong.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Holy moly Scott, didn't recall the back story on your bandsaw, I remember you getting it though. I'd follow up with their customer service as Carol said, but not heard of them black balling someone like that before. If you really need to get the part of them, you're welcome to have it shipped to my place and pick it up there or I can bring it by.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Worst part is when I got there I bought a band saw that is a step up from what I had originally ordered. For some reason this thing makes a lot of noise. Nothing like my Ricon.

Do you think they have a customer service? I have been there three times and it looks like they just have a few people in the back room.

I already have a work around to getting the parts I need, but I will keep you in mind. The router table inserts go on my Grizzly table saw. The saw I am now wishing I wouldn't have bought.

Do you know anyone in our area who can cut some inserts for me from steel? I have templates.

I find all of that absolutely amazing. If Griz doesn't correct this they'll be the next company to go belly up. I think what Carol said should be the next action, this needs to be moved up the chain at Grizzly, if nothing happens then maybe they need to go belly up. To be clear, if you don't specify tail gate typically you won't get it and you do have to get the freight off the back of the truck (at least that's how a carrier explained it to me). It sounds like the carrier in your case is a step above. But Grizzly's reaction is absolutely uncalled for. That part about not doing business with you is also a first (for me). Are things going so well for them that they can shut out customers? Unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Turner View Post
    Worst part is when I got there I bought a band saw that is a step up from what I had originally ordered. For some reason this thing makes a lot of noise. Nothing like my Ricon.

Do you think they have a customer service? I have been there three times and it looks like they just have a few people in the back room.

I already have a work around to getting the parts I need, but I will keep you in mind. The router table inserts go on my Grizzly table saw. The saw I am now wishing I wouldn't have bought.

Do you know anyone in our area who can cut some inserts for me from steel? I have templates.
    Not sure they have a local customer service, still might be worth calling to find out why they won't work with you, sounds like the issue was on their end.

I don't know anyone that can do steel, but I do have the cnc router running again, so might be able to do something in aluminum or mdf for you.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Scott which store did this to you?? I know the manager at the Springfield store and will be taking this up with him the next time I am in.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

i ordered both my drill press and bandsaw from grizzly, no problems at all. when a bad capacitor took out the motor on the drill press, they sent me a whole new motor.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Scott which store did this to you?? I know the manager at the Springfield store and will be taking this up with him the next time I am in.
    Jay it was the Springfield store, I remember when Scott went down to pick it up.
    Darren

Given we only have one side of the story, I would be surprised if there wasn't more to this. Not saying you're leaving things out, scott, but I don't buy the idea that Grizzly would refuse you as a customer without some business reason.

First, it clearly states when you order machinery on their website that shippers are not required to unload the freight. I do think that the upcharge is kind of rough if the freight company they use doesn't charge for lift gate service. That's definitely suspect and I'd like to know grizzly's explanation there. They should only be passing along costs incurred, in my opinion.

Second, you still purchased from grizzly after the run-around? From the sounds of it, I don't think I'd be that patient with any company that I got such an odd experience from. There again, though, I am only going by your recount and giving you the benefit of the doubt. If there is more info there that led you to continue to want to do business with them, I'd love to hear it.

Third, I'm not trying to beat you up on this - I've got several grizzly machines in my shop and i'm overall very happy with their service. Sometimes, the concept of "shipped" in one man's mind is different in another's. It doesn't necessarily mean it's sitting on a truck and in motion. Maybe they had it at the dock already and their customer service people had no way to know that. I'm not making excuses for them, it's just that we don't know all the details. My metal lathe came with a spotty driver board - quick email to them and they shipped me a replacement board 2nd day and gave me no grief. I've only had one machine delivered to the house - my metal lathe, and i did have to take it off the truck - it was easy, since it was a tiny little lathe, though. Everything else I've gotten from them, I have picked up at the shipping depots.

3 different freight yards, vastly different experiences - it wouldn't surprise me if grizzly's upcharge is more like insurance to cover the serious unpredictability of shippers. Forks driven through machines, completely soaked with rain, dropage, etc. I've been at the freight yards a few times and see these kids zinging around on fork lifts so recklessly it's a wonder anything arrives undamaged. Not making excuses for Grizzly, I just think we're not seeing everything that went down and I'm skeptical any business would turn away a specific customer like that without more info.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA