Thread: Red Cedar Box

Red Cedar Box

Finished this box today while dodging some rain storms. It's great for putting keys and change and other goodies in it that one might wish to. The outside diameter is 8" with a total height of 4 1/2" with a vessel depth of 2". It has a nice inside lip and I think the color of the wood is just downright nice. Even though it's hard to get an all over smooth surface on, I do like turning this wood. Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Dave Hoskins; 04-01-2015 at 11:43 PM.
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

Anytime spent learning something, no matter how trivial it seems, is not a waste of time.

Uhhh...Dave? Uhhhh....no pics
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Hi Jim! They should be there now. Weird. I create a photo album and upload the photos to it and save it. Post my thread and then they go away. Then I have to recreate the album and try it again. I don't think the photos like me. Anyway, hopefully they will be there this time.
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

Anytime spent learning something, no matter how trivial it seems, is not a waste of time.

That looks great! I love turning eastern red cedar, but man it works on my sinuses! It feels like I have cotton balls stuffed in my head when I get finished!

Hi John! Yeah, the dust from it can really get you. If you are somewhat allergic to cedar it can be much worse. I don't have a regular dust collector. Someday I will get one. I have a 24" fan on a stand that I built for it. It has a speed control on it. I have it set real close to the lathe facing away from it. When I am sanding I have it on running almost wide open. That really sucks the stuff away from me and the lathe! Like a whirlwind. Whoosh!!!! Of course it helps that my shop is a metal 3 car garage that is open in the front. When I feel nice I keep the center area open so my girlfriend can park there.

Wow! Nice figure/pattern. Looks great!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

That's some real pretty wood. Nice job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com