Thread: Shou Sugi Ban technique - how to seal

Shou Sugi Ban technique - how to seal

Hey there,

I'm about to start making a bench from a solid log that's been squared up on a mill. I want to try the Shou Sugi ban technique of charring the wood to give a unique burnt grain look.

Just curious if I should be doing anything to the wood before applying the flame and also after its charred, is there anything I need to do to to preserve/protect it?

Thanks in advance

Sam
    The Naked Edge Table Company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had never heard the name of this technique, but I've used a propane torch to char wood before. In reviewing a couple of videos of the process, it looks like you apply a sealer after charring and brushing. I'm wondering about the use of such a technique for a workbench since the idea of it is to emphasize the grain texture whereas a bench should be smooth and flat.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I think a bench that has been distressed a little, and charred, would be pretty cool!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

First of, welcome to the forum! We're generally a pretty helpful bunch, and if you'll give a bit more info, we may be able to help.

Are you building a workbench, or a bench for sitting on?

What kind of wood?

I've charred pine before, then sealed it with shellac, then varnished it. The charring leaves an uneven surface, though, and you'd want a flatter surface than that for a workbench. Be great for a sitting bench, though. In this video, the author apparently used linseed oil after he'd wire brushed and washed the wood.

BTW, where are you located? There might be other members here that ate nearby. If you want, you can edit your "USER CP" (see the tab at the top of the page) to show your location. You can be as specific - or non-specific - as you want. Most of us just show city and state/province.

Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 04-04-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added video link
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

My apology for not picking up on this being your first post. Welcome to our Family!

Also, when you said "bench", I made the assumption of a shop work bench - my bad!

I can certainly see that finishing process being great for a sitting bench!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Hi Sam and welcome. Glad you found us. From the looks of some of the pieces on your Facebook page, you've used this technique before? I'd be worried that a whole log would develop some serious cracks, maybe even split down the middle. How green is the wood and what kind is it? It appears that open pored species are better for this purpose than closed pore species. In any event it would be fun torching the wood, just to see what happens. Looks like it makes nice siding.