Table for a friend

Yea, I still do some woodworking, just don't get much time to post. Made this table for my good friend. He does taxidermy for his hobby and needed a good sturdy table. Ran out to the lumber dealer and picked up some common soft maple in 8/4. As you can tell the lumber might be a little better than common. The top was made out of some old 8/4 red oak that was in the loft of the barn and FIL said to use it up. He found this stainless top in the scrap pile at his work, so we made the table around the steel. Not sure what the notches were for in it's previous life. I did sand the top all the way up too 1000 grit. Helped it out a lot. I also took a propane torch to the exposed area of the top and barely burnt it, not sure why I did, but it looks cool. Oh, no finish was applied to the table.

2015-03-04 18.23.51.jpg

2015-03-04 18.26.08.jpg

2015-03-04 20.26.15.jpg

2015-03-08 16.33.31.jpg

DSCN5630.jpg

DSCN5631.jpg

DSCN5633.jpg

DSCN5634.jpg

And, the nice maple with the curl will be covered with blood and guts. I can just picture it now. Nice table though. My granddaughter's boyfriend's dad and two of his brothers have a taxidermy business. I went for a tour of it once. There is a lot of work involved. They had lots of beautiful mounts ready for shipping to customer. It was very interesting.

Nice work, that ought to be plenty sturdy and stable which sure helps a lot for that sort of thing.

I played with taxidermy a wee bit as a youngster but never made anything that was actually nice.. Some "spectacular" failures though - my "starving mouse eating a pile of mush" is still talked about around the family (a lesson was learned about the limits of cotton batting as a packing material and how much it can shrink - the papermache stand completed the tableau). At some point around there I decided it "wasn't my thing".