Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Done with Hewlett-Packard

Done with Hewlett-Packard

I had my computer formated recently. In the process my printer driver was lost. No big deal. Right?
    Wrong.
    The all-in-one printer/scanner is several years old but works fine. However, HP will no longer provide drivers for it. So, now it is junk. And, I expect HP expects me to buy a new printer. I may have to but it sure will not be an HP. And, I do not plan to ever buy another HP product. This non-service stinks.
    I e-mailed them and they are "investigating".
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

How old is that printer, Frank? What Win system are you using? Microsoft is no longer supporting Win XP, so that might also be a source for your problem.

I recently installed a ten year old HP 'multi-function' printer on a Win 7 system, and Windows found and installed the drivers with no problem at all. I just plugged in the printer (USB cord) and got a 'ding' then the message "found new hardware; installing drivers."
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

What model is the printer and what version is your OS on the computer?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

As stated there may be newer drivers built into the OS, and if using an old unsupported OS, how long should a company pay for space for access to drivers for a long not produced product? Normally they provide a driver disc with the printer (where is that) and did you ever download a newer one? Where did you back that up to?

Condiering that the cost of storage is pennies to corporations, they could store every driver they've ever issued in a gigabyte or so, and keep it available until the sun burns out. However, that would defeat the principle of planned obsolescence. There may be third parties around who have drivers for older machines. Do some Googling.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    What model is the printer and what version is your OS on the computer?
    The printer is an F4180, identical to other model numbers except this number identifies it as having been purchased at Wal-Mart. I forget how long I have had it, probably five years. My OS is Vista Home Premium. I agree, HP could store drivers until the sun burns out. I finally found a contact and got an email with a phone number. I told the tech the website was a mess. Every time I entered my model number for a download the site took me to another page that asked for my model number, and that page........ She agreed with me their website is poorly designed. Then she sent me a link for the download. That link took me to a now familiar page that asked for my model number...................do I need to tell you what happened there? I'm now waiting for another call back which they said could take two more days. Color me unhappy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Just went to http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/...30AQO5O3KA30R1

Changed the operating system to Vista, and it gave me a link to this driver for the F4100 series.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL18547/al-64285-2/DJ_AIO_NonNetwork_ENU_NB.exe
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Just went to http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/...30AQO5O3KA30R1

Changed the operating system to Vista, and it gave me a link to this driver for the F4100 series.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL18547/al-64285-2/DJ_AIO_NonNetwork_ENU_NB.exe
    Yup, same here.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Look at you two...ruining a perfectly good rant with solutions.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Look at you two...ruining a perfectly good rant with solutions.
    Oh Rants!!!

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER