Grinding away good steel.........

Stuart Ablett

Well, I've embarked on a quest too far...........maybe....:rolleyes:

I've decided that I should take the time to learn how to freehand sharpen.

I've seen two pros do it, took them seconds to put a NICE grind on a bowl gouge...... :eek: ......and I'm sure a fair bit of time to learn how to do it.

OK, first up, I needed to upgrade the "platform" on my sharpening set up.

This was less painful than I had feared.......... :rolleyes:

fh_new_platform.jpg
The new platform it bigger, and square to the grinder...............and it's shinny!! :wave:

fh_wheel_cleaning_jig.jpg
I made this jig to hold the diamond wheel dresser I have....

fh_wheel_cleaning_jig_bottom.jpg
..it rides on the front of the platform, to keep the diamond dresser running straight across the wheel, this makes the wheel clean, but also it trues up the wheel (makes it round)

fh_fine_adjustment.jpg
I found this great fine adjustment tool too..... :rolleyes:
I will make a new wheel dressing jig for the single point diamond dresser that I have coming from Oneway, that will have a threaded find adjustment system. For now, this works, it really makes the wheels a lot better, and with the balancing system, and new Oneway wheels, I have great hope for my el cheapo WC slow speed grinder :rofl:

fh_wheel_clean.jpg
OK, after all of that, the wheel is clean, and very round! :thumb:

fh_swing_2_side.jpg
I start the freehand grind with the gouge on the platform, the platform is about 40*. I have the wing of the gouge on the wheel first, then I swing it to the nose......

fh_nose_grind.jpg
... but I do not linger on the nose, quickly by that and on to the opposite wing. I keep the gouge firmly in contact, flat on the platform the whole time, rolling and swinging.

fh_result.jpg
The result, if far from perfect, but I've only got about an hours worth of practice in on this new skill. (sorry for the crap pic, hard to take pics of ground gouges.....:doh:

fh_big_mess.jpg
It does cut, here is the resulting mess :D
I sure like my DVR, it handled some fairly big cuts (look at the big curlies on the lower right) without a problem :clap:

fh_cutting_results.jpg
and the ability to swing the headstock, in this case 22.5* outboard makes the hollowing a lot easier.

Well that is it, my quest for hand sharpening skill has begun............... my P&N 1/2" bowl gouge is in need of replacement, it has gotten short, so I'll be practicing on it too...............

Cheers!

Looks good Stu.

I've always ground mine freehand.
I have no super jigs to do it with.

stu, that grind is fine! it cuts doesn`t it? and it`ll be dull before long and you`ll get another go at it.....

Thanks guys!

Yeah, cuts just fine, as you can see by the piles of curlies :D

Sure is fast, takes about 10 seconds to step back from the lathe, flick on the grinder, and zip zip, flip off the grinder, step back up to the lathe.

I do need a new half inch bowl gouge though...... :eek: