You know what day it is - Friday!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I am working on a consulting contract in addition to the other things on my plate. I am also planning on some wooden file boxes design work and thedesign of a new table for the church. And I need to schedule the refinishing of the altar at church. I have some volunteers for both the table and the altar work, but I do need to organize them. So maybe a whiff of sawdust this weekend.
Not to mention recovery from an insane steak extravaganza! :rofl:

You're always busy Carol! And now Full too!! :D

We had some plans this weekend, but they all got cancelled do to a BIG auto repair bill for my wife's SUV. Small oil drip became BIG oil drip last night. I'm don't mess with engines so...they are replacing some gaskets of some sort that are below most of the motor. Labor bill is big, part is small. Had an appointment to get new brakes too. :doh: Thought about not doing it and trading it off, but 1 repair bill is better than a car payment each month.

Good weather all weekend though so can't complain, to much...it's only money right? :rolleyes:

As the weather is going to be mild (10º) and sunny, I will get the tools out. I've been thinking I'd like to make a couple of FWSes and maybe an
FWT to go with them. A chance to use both my TS and my BS, as well as the CEDs. Should be a VEW.

I haven't had as much shop time as I'd like lately due to taking time on some outdoor maintenance this week - still need to mow the lawn, which is now a weekly process.

My CNC is still the major focus of shop time and I need to check on some slippage I encountered when I ran a job this morning. It's always something!

Tonight and Saturday night will be watching NASCAR races, of course!

It's been a recovery day for me, started puking about 6:00 yesterday and continued into the night. Can't hardly speak today as my throat hurts so much. Hopefully I can get out later today, looks to be 65 and sunny outside. I have been playing around with the VCarve software and doing a few more tutorials between naps. Have some honey-do's to work on this weekend mostly and to do some repair on my daughter's car.

Gearing (and loading) up for a run to the dump this afternoon to get rid of a bunch of yard trimmings and some other assorted junk. Later this evening we're playing another show at one of our favorite local taverns.

Not sure what the rest of the weekend will be bringing...likely more yard work.

Planting some more garden..lettuce, radishes, cilantro, dill. Our average last frost is 15 April but all the stores are full of warm season plant sets. Been building a couple of cross cut sleds for the table saw so I can cut some straight stock for the cajon drums. Will try the five cut method for the first time to see if it will work for me.

As the weather is going to be mild (10º) and sunny, I will get the tools out. I've been thinking I'd like to make a couple of FWSes and maybe an
FWT to go with them. A chance to use both my TS and my BS, as well as the CEDs. Should be a VEW.

Yeah, we had some acronyms in the service too.

Glenn, Deb and MIL coming tomorrow. I'm going to have a guy with a skip-loader come over and clear the shop so we can get in it. The house is OK. It should easily pass a MIL inspection.

Enjoy,
JimB

Last edited:
sleeping this weekend, didn't sleep much this past week.
but I finally got to shoot a 50 caliber barrett sniper rifle.
was in the middle of the Nevada desert, shot target(the size of a small golf cart), at 3000 feet, and the winds were super strong, hit rock 2 out of 5 shots according to the range officer with me, I thought I hit third time but he said I was a bit right. I saw the dust shoot up on the missed shots, didn't see that one.
I tried to attach the video of it, cant seem to do it, says invalid file,

definitely a trip, a real adrenaline pumper.

I also shot an HK sub machine gun, and a belt fed machine gun.

it was a tough day in the desert, the winds were ridiculous this past week as Im sure any of you that live in southern Nevada know.

heres a pic of the HK machine gun, 9 mm, fully auto, the mountain range in the background is where the target for the 50 caliber was.

Attachments

• hk.jpg
    hk.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Dan, you need a repaired rifle barrel to go shopping???? :eek:

only on big shopping days before holidays carol! :rofl: what had happened was that years ago, i was cleaning my 54 cal hawken rifle (percussion, not the flint, though i have both) with a brass cleaning brush. but the darned thing was just a touch too big, and while it went down easy enough, the opposite was true while trying to get it out. wound up shearing the cleaning rod just above where the fitting at the end. i finally got up the gumption to take it out of the stock, take it over to pop's house, and put it in his vise, and turn out the breech plug (a task i fairly dreaded over the years). then it was easy enough to tap out the offending brush with a half inch dowel (woodworking got into this at this point), and screw the breech plug back in again. now they're both ready for use again.

was in the middle of the Nevada desert, shot target(the size of a small golf cart), at 3000 feet, and the winds were super strong, hit rock 2 out of 5 shots according to the range officer with me, I thought I hit third time but he said I was a bit right. I saw the dust shoot up on the missed shots, didn't see that one.

it was a tough day in the desert, the winds were ridiculous this past week as Im sure any of you that live in southern Nevada know.

heres a pic of the HK machine gun, 9 mm, fully auto, the mountain range in the background is where the target for the 50 caliber was.

Oh man, that is really cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks as if your shooting without hearing protection... my ears are already ringing from all the years working the airports, using hearing protection... shooting like that would really set them to screaming.

YEP - it sure is.

1) I am going to take pictures of every exterior wall and accurately calculate the square footage.
This is to find the cost of siding.
I will analyze this to death
Spreadsheet - comparisons

2) I will work in the shop with the big doors open
Will try to get my temp kitchen cabinet into the house in preparation of the kitchen remodeling.

3) I gotta try to get my truck running.

Moving on to the next and new stage of the remodeling - kitchen cabinets

Sounds like a blast!

It looks as if your shooting without hearing protection... my ears are already ringing from all the years working the airports, using hearing protection... shooting like that would really set them to screaming.

not at all.

they supply with foam ear plug inserts that mold into your ear and really cut the noise out.

when I shot the 50 caliber, they make you put on an additional head set to muffle the sound.

in my wifes video, when I took the first shot, she was 15 feet in back of me off to the right, she yelled out Ouch and moved back.

she had foam ear plugs, they don't let anyone near the range without ear protection.

Best of luck Dave, i been watching a large flock in a few fields near me all winter. Must say they were looking to be in good shape. Will think of you while i am bending the knee in the am. Take care of yours.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk