Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to make a walking stick any inputs welcome

Need to make a walking stick any inputs welcome

Well i am about to transition from a walker to a walking stick. Tried to walk without one yesterday and while i managed i paid for my sins last night in bed with my back telling me i was not doing the correct thing. I knew before i tried but donkeys learn the hard way.

So given i am managing to cope without the pain meds for extended periods now, i am prepared to have a go at some woodworking for as long as i can muster the energy.

I am looking at making my own walking stick not to save a $ but really just for something to do to take my mind of this whole knee thingy, its really getting stale at this point. Come to realize managing ones mental health with something like this op is more important than the op itself .

So i am looking to anyone that has any experience at using a walking cane especially those that have reached age where they find it neccessary on a daily basis.

Whats the best handle shape in your opinion. I know this is kind of like how long is a piece of string but i have no experience to lean on. Found a bunch of ideas and images on google and like this idea

I can see a tenon at the top of the cane part, then trace the drawing lay it out on some cherry i have. Drill tenon hole first the handle, then cut out on bandsaw and route the edges with a round over bit.

Just wondering about the need for the protrusion, i figure that is to go between thumb and forefinger when gripping the handle.

Going to use an ordinary big white rubber stopper on the end of the cane. Dont need it to be fancy at this stage.

Any alternative suggestions? My concern is for the strength of that tenon joint versus weight being placed on the handle.

Thanks for any and all inputs comments, ideas etc.

I want to keep it simple so it gets done pronto.
    cheers

My walking stick has a traditional curved head, bent from the shaft. It was made by a local handiman. I saw a "How It's Made" a week or two ago which showed these being bent around a form after considerable steaming. The advantage of that crook style handle is that there is always somewhere along that curve that is comfortable to grasp.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Whatever you do, You should make sure that it has a sword in it, and a tiny little flask. All the cool gentlemen have multi purpose walking sticks.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I'm going to admonish you the same way I admonish all rookies...There Is No Best!!!!
    What works you you, fits securely in you hand, what grip allows you to position the cane in a stable position, material, finish all make up what's Best For You!!! If you have any high end antique stores in your area...it's a great place to check out canes.
    Brent is 100% on the money...I carry a gun so the flask gets my vote!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Also, has your Physical Therapist explained that if it is your right knee that got operated on, you will use the cane in your left hand?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Also, has your Physical Therapist explained that if it is your right knee that got operated on, you will use the cane in your left hand?
    This important. You want to make sure you're not making a left=handed cane when you need a right-handed one!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    This important. You want to make sure you're not making a left=handed cane when you need a right-handed one!
    Either one is OK as long as it was made with a left handed Monque wrench.

Take it easy man. Be nice to it now so it will be nice to you later!!!!!

Enjoy (if possible)
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

We have several canes available if needed, passed down through the family. My go to is just an old holly branch I cut years ago thinking it would make a good cane if I ever needed one. It's twisted and gnarly and has many a mile on it....just like me

What you are asking about is a cane. Walking sticks are longer. We need to be careful about these things.
    I don't need a cane yet but have made several for myself in preparation. The hand is a very adaptable thing. So, the handle can be of many shapes and still work fine for you. I suggest you just get creative and make the handle to suit you. I have made from brass horse hame, glass doorknob and strangely shaped scrap wood. As long as the shaft is strong you are limited only by your imagination. Hickory is an excellent cane wood. Strong and lightweight. Being from "up nawth" you might have acess to diamond willow. That can make a really interesting cane.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire