Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: new shop in the works

new shop in the works

Hi All been a while since my last post. Lots has happened in my life and now have moved to Salt Spring Island ( just off Victoria BC Canada. and am undertaking design and building a new shop. Nothing fancy. Have bounced lots of design ideas around and after talking to my Step brother and fellow family member ( Alex Reid) I think I have settled on just putting a slab on grad and building from that. 24x30 shop with 10ft ceilings and truss's with a 6 in 12 pitch. Nothing fancy maybe a 8ft rolling door and three 4 ft windows and a 3ft door. Possibly even an attic door to use the space up in the trusses. Metal roof ( green color and galv metal siding. Just been drawing the plans as I have not spent as much time with sketch up as I would have liked. Will be running 150 or 200 amp service to the shop and then going underground to the house to eliminate the over head wires we currently have on our 130 amp service. Any thoughts and ideas would be welcome. will try to get some pictures of the site as well as the drawing ideas as soon as I get some space to set up some of our computer stuff. Just sold our 1900 sqft home to move into our 5 acre 800 sqft home so a bit tight on space at the moment. I had thought about doing a pressure treated wood 2 ft foundation and then having a floor rather than the slab so that I could run the ducting all under the shop but the weight of my tools and easy access started to concern me. This way is just easier.
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 04-14-2015 at 07:02 AM.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Nice to hear from you Drew. Salt Spring, a beautiful island according to my wife. She just spent a couple days there recently (3 weeks ago) with a girlfriend. I look forward to posts on your new shop. My advice, make sure you have plenty of naturally light with an enjoyable view, especially at your workbench.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11096812_10152647062246548_294093184_n.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	90063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11160144_10152647061731548_680301668_n.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	90064
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 04-14-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

It will face south with a 3x4 window and 3 ft door and an 8ft roll up door, Limited in location as it is the only place on the lot where hydro is readily available. May have to upgrade wires too just don't know as of yet

It is a beautiful island and pretty laid back. Lots of artistic people here. more the peace and quiet I appreciate. The last view I had was one window in a shop with a 16 ft rollup garage door. Looking at the street and my neighbors house. This will be a bit better. have to find some pictures small enough to post here. I do most of my photos in Raw now so have to convert them lots.
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 04-14-2015 at 03:35 AM.

This sounds like a nice move Drew. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.
    I visited Saltspring a couple of times and it struck me as quiet and pleasant, just as you describe.
    I haven't seen your site, but I noticed when touring around how so many rural properties had simple open structures with just a roof over them. In your climate, that would be something I would do adjacent to my shop for an added workspace and dry storage most of the time.
    Regards
    Peter

Sounds like you sure found a nice spot! We've considered moving back north across the border but the cards haven't ever aligned in that direction yet..

Have fun building the shop and remember when you hit the inevitable snags that it'll be all worth it when its done!

Sounds Awesome Drew!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yea Peter once the shop is all done I will be adding an open air carport / roofed area for extra storage as well as prep work on logs for turning. Will have two large 1500 gallon water storage containers for summer watering of the garden as we don't want to tax the well. I have lots to do here just hope that my recent shoulder surgery doesn't slow me down too much. Just playing it by ear right now. I have a maple tree to bring down to clear up some space and it is growing out of two stumps so could be some interesting wood. We have a few others too that need to be brought down that are danger trees. We are on the south end near beaver point. I have heard that lots of famous actors have property here as well. Ryan with the dollar as it is we have seen lots of people looking north for investments that just come for a visit and stay.
    Last edited by Drew Watson; 04-14-2015 at 06:57 AM.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    5 acres and a new shop, must feel like heaven, at least it would to me......Congrats! Here's to the enjoyment >
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else