new shop in the works

.The DC air is not recycled back into the room, that could change but right now it's not. With the wood stove I can't have any dust circulating in the shop so it will be a see how it goes. The wood stove throws off stupid amounts of heat. Enough to set the smoke / heat detector off at the other end of the shop. so loosing a bit of warm air is not a real concern right now. My last shop was like a refrigerator in the winter and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't keep the heat in. So this will be a welcome change.
Hey Drew,

My concern was not so much The loss of warm air, rather I was concerned about losing the updraft in the woodstove by sucking out all the air from the shop with the dust collector. Of course, if you have outside air being delivered to the stove as combustion air this would not make a difference

It was another long day of getting the last of the ducting in place. I used up all of the spiral ducting and still have two rubber maids full of fittings left over. Not to mention flex hose. All the main tools are hooked up with the lathe and miter saw still to go. After that I got to putting things away and cleaning things up. I tried out the DC with all the tools and did a good once over on everything. The wireless remote works pretty much from each tool station. It is surprising how quiet it is to run now, not loud outside either as it is in a fully insulated room. Still lots of work to do with building benches, Cabinets and out feed table but one day at a time. Just glad that this part is done. Rennie has brought up an interesting question though with the sealed room for the DC and I might need to vent it back into the shop to get the full potential of the DC. How much air can you force into a sealed room without venting it out somewhere? Will it cause such a restriction that the DC doesn't perform to its fullest? Just like the wood stove that needs the outside air intake to work more efficiently I suspect the DC might be the same. I will have to play with this as I do remember the DC having a bit better draw on it than I currently have. Of course this is a totally different shop and setup with more ducting.

14959100_10153793782131548_1533562634_o.jpg14961593_10153792879461548_1718459511_n.jpg

Hey Drew,

My concern was not so much The loss of warm air, rather I was concerned about losing the updraft in the woodstove by sucking out all the air from the shop with the dust collector. Of course, if you have outside air being delivered to the stove as combustion air this would not make a difference
Yes Rennie I see your point. I just fired up the wood stove for the first time with the DC. Even with the outside air supply for the stove it draws more than can be supplied. The shop started filling with smoke. I opened a window solved that issue temporarily. now it comes to what I was talking about wth ducting from the DC room to the shop. All the building vents to the crawlspace are closed so that could be part of the issue too. Just another small issue to figure out. thanks for pointing it out. Of course this was never an issue in my last shop as the garage door allowed lots of air into the shop.

Last edited:
Will post more in 2 weeks. heading off on vacation Wed. morning. So far a few options to try to resolve the air vaccum issue. The simplest is to let tbe place warm up and the fire die down before flashing up the DC. The shop only needs one good load of wood t heat up so that's not really an issue. more of a challenge now to resolve this issue. Well I have two weeks resting my back on a sandy beach before having to think of this again.

Well back from Puerto Morelos Mexico. Great little laid back city real slow paced lots of Expats. We did 15 dives and I did lots of beer drinking and relaxing. Dove with bull sharks in Playa del Carmen, did The wall dive in Cozumel, and Cenotes in Tulum and had a look at the Musa off Cancun near Isla Mujeres ( Go on Google and have a look its amazing) along with the reefs off Puerto Morelos. Amazing as it was all boat dives no lugging gear my back is feeling great. Feeling rested a bit and out to the shop to solve that draw issue with the wood stove and the separate DC room issue I was dealing with before I left. I Installed a 6 inch Pipe through the wall to allow the room to equal out the draw to supply issue but it wasn't enough. So opened it up to a rectangle of 16 x 7 and that worked. Just so long as the damper is not on too much. Not perfect but it solves the issue without opening up windows in the winter. The DC room is fully insulated as well so it actually helps out both rooms by doing it without adding any noise issue.

So glad you got that under control. Would have hated to see you smoked out of your own shop on the first cold day.

Yea Rennie I was using the table saw today and forgot the damper was down just a hair too far when I kicked in the DC smoke came out of the stove. quickly opened the door and it sucked right back in. Adjust the damper and no problem. So marked the location for future reference. need to put signs up at all the tools to remember the damper. lol

Spent the day yesterday finishing off the windows and doors to the shop. Boxs in and trimmings done. Still have to do painting but this is the last thing to do on the building. Now I can just focus on organizing and building some cabinets. Might even have my old table saw sold. A little cash in my pocket and some much needed floor space cleared.

15356748_10153861077461548_8282607224098713895_n.jpg15267527_10153861077566548_317178784046839367_n.jpg15356629_10153861488526548_2057446548935828159_n.jpg15355825_10153861488601548_2638067314301839654_n.jpg15219622_10153861488566548_5998281079322774325_n.jpg

That is really starting to look like a workshop!

The mess everywhere is normal right ;) well it is in my shop!

Third pic, from the look of things the fascia on the house could use some paint too, or is that moss growing on it :eek: dang houses never seem to NOT need paint :doh:

Looking good!

That is really starting to look like a workshop!

The mess everywhere is normal right ;) well it is in my shop!

Third pic, from the look of things the fascia on the house could use some paint too, or is that moss growing on it :eek: dang houses never seem to NOT need paint :doh:

Looking good!

Yea Stu the contractor that did that addition job, I fired. The roof line should have continued at the same level all the way along. The step between roofs and the lower roof is impossible to secure as well as a magnet for wasp nests and birds to hide. Another shake my head thing that I have plans to fix. There are also too many little steps in the roof. 16 inch gutters where it should have just gone the extra 24 to meet up. fascia should have extended to cover the gutter ends.... I was going to get it painted but that room is a bedroom with no closet so I will be ripping that roof off to bring it up to the main roof height then extending the roof out to build a walk in closet. It will clean up all the house lines and not be a pile of silly jogs. That is the plan anyways. Right now its on concrete posts and not a foundation and I will be fixing that first after moving the water tanks. Like I said this is a few years plan.

15781549_10153933200011548_7350339132909589384_n.jpg15781152_10153933200056548_5882978915728356351_n.jpg I will be a little sidelined for the next while Until the insurance company either fixes or writes off My pathfinder. Hit a patch of Black ice last week at low speed and it still put me into the ditch. Air bags went off so that pretty much writes off the car i am told. We are ok as it was a slow impact but now am looking for a van or truck to replace this. kind of put a hold on the shop for the time being till it all gets sorted out. It has however given me time to get a few things done inside the shop in the way of cleaning and organizing.

15817669_10153946257241548_715401495_o.jpg Before the accident i was able to get the out feed table materials together ( 3/4 MDF ) and yet again threw my back out ( accident didn't help either), but the table looks good :) It really gave me lots of storage space that I desperately needed to get more of the loose materials put away as well as a place to put things like the portable thickness planer and scroll saw till I Get other homes for these tools built.

Last edited: