new shop in the works

Spent the day building the room on the back of the building that will house the DC. 2x6 framing so I can really insulate it for soundproofing ( like my neighbors) Just the DC and storage. Picking up a door for it tomorrow. Was going to build one for it but this is much easier and honestly right now I just don't have the time.

Last edited:
DC all installed in back room. Room all insulated with sound deadening R20 insulation and throw some vapour barrier up to keep the insulation contained. I still need to run the ducting but fired it up to life yesterday after almost two years in storage. wired in the control through the wall into the shop so wireless remote works. Also installed the air filter on the ceiling yesterday. With a little help from the drywall lift

13592286_10153494598986548_4689465228072588456_n.jpg13439034_10153494785336548_4965837858272448134_n.jpg13557721_10153497067696548_4338888416842043957_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well did a stupid thing yesterday and moved the maple work bench into the shop by myself. Top must weight well over 250 lbs with vises on. Stupid 20 yr old in me forgot I am 55 with a bad back. Yea in pain the rest of the day and today. Also had to go get a knee injection today so pretty much had to do nothing all day anyways. Last heavy thing to move anyways.

Last edited:
Man sorry to hear this Drew. I can totally relate as i did a similar stupid thing over weekend except with a heavy trailer. Hope recovery does not take too long, shops coming along nice.

Hope you feel better soon, Drew. Sometimes it's better to suppress that inner Superman and go back to basics using wheels, ramps, dolly's, hydraulic tables, engine hoists and such.:(

Thanks all. Yea I had to go get a CT scan yesterday just to make sure I did nothing serious. Just feel more stupid as I know better. I did use a dolly to get the top across from one building to the other and I do have a new ramp installed but the ground to the new ramp is not even and flat so took the route of lifting it up some 6 steps one step at a time. Slow process but it worked. Doc said no further damage to my already compressed spine so that is a good thing. Just muscular and am on heavy pain pills and muscle relaxants now to correct that stupid 20 yr old that hides inside me. After getting home from the hospital ( this one requires a ferry to and from) I set about cleaning and organizing the shop. Putting containers of nails and screws away, picking up things and looking seriously at where I am setting up the large tools to create some form of work flow. My last shop grew as I grew with tools being added and in so it grew around me and though it was cramped it was somewhat organized. pretty much all my small work stations were on wheels so now I am re looking at those cabinets that were built in necessity. I thought the larger space would be simple as to where things are going to go. I put 240 outlets where I thought I wanted the band saw and jointer but now I have thre space cleared out I am rethinking it all. Now thinking of a more central plan. Shop is 24 x 30 so table saw with 8 ft out feed table Planer beside saw in middle of shop Jointer at the end of the out feed table crosswise to the table.with the band saw against the wall mid shop. Like I said my biggest problem is trying to work the old mobile work stations into the new shop but I am starting to realize this might just not work out that way,

Drew
One of the things I did to make room in a small shop that worked great for me was...to make a new base cabinet for my 6' jointer on wheels lowering it a bit & I raised my cabinet saw 2" to match my bench height, this also allowed the Jointer to fit the in-feed table underneath the left wing of the table saw which also has a router table in it. With the jointer fence below the height of both the bench & the left wing of of the table saw. No matter what you do I think you'll find the jointer much handier to use if it is placed parallel with table saw on one side or the other. Under the other wing of the cabinet saw is a drawer cabinet on wheels.

Attachments

• A1 myshop 058.jpg
    A1 myshop 058.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 25
  • A1 myshop 046.jpg
    A1 myshop 046.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Unisaw cabinet & blade storage.jpg
    Unisaw cabinet & blade storage.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Drew
One of the things I did to make room in a small shop that worked great for me was...to make a new base cabinet for my 6' jointer on wheels lowering it a bit & I raised my cabinet saw 2" to match my bench height, this also allowed the Jointer to fit the in-feed table underneath the left wing of the table saw which also has a router table in it. With the jointer fence below the height of both the bench & the left wing of of the table saw. No matter what you do I think you'll find the jointer much handier to use if it is placed parallel with table saw on one side or the other. Under the other wing of the cabinet saw is a drawer cabinet on wheels.

Thanks Bart, That is along the lines of what I will be doing. The jointer will sit below the table saw table but the controls stick up too high so am looking at what mods I might be doing to work around that problem and get things working. The jointer and planer are in the 500 lbs ball park so will not be moving them unless I really have to. This is why I am trying to design it so it will be a long term situation. I think I have it all figured out now but i am wiped and have been on pain meds so will look at it again tomorrow and see if the ideas were sound or just delusions. lol

The saw arrived on the 22 to my door step. I am so impressed with Grizzly. Took a bit of work but finally got the beast into the shop. Just as the Whett inspector showed up to look at the wood stove instillation and passed it with no question. Though its not called a shop its called a studio. Shop requires too many rules as to where the stove is how high it is off the ground and it has to be in a separate room. Studio it doesn't. once I got through all that crap I spent Saturday setting up the saw. Step 3 was removed the shipping brace off the motor. It was this orange bar that I found humor in as the sticker on it really makes me question people. Orange obviously is the new yellow where ever this was made. lol Anyways after some thoughts to where I wanted it to go I ended up changing its location to line up with the front and back door of the shop. 12 ft either side of the blade and with the doors open I can run any length of material through the saw ( I have run 20 ft clean cedar through my old saw for canoes and kayaks). With this figured out I can now exactly figure on the DC ducting and locations of the Jointer and Thickness planer. This configuration works out better for the DC ducting anyways but still have issues as to where I will be putting the Planer. Oh well as shop is a constant work in progress I will figure it out once I power the beast up tomorrow.

13775351_10153533887576548_4377185261044884157_n.jpg13731669_10153533888126548_8177775675588189834_n.jpg13690837_10153535563916548_8902731477993557424_n.jpg13697094_10153535984001548_5870530293993194596_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great comments. It actually arrived on my 55 birthday Stu so happy B to me. lol Of course had to take a day off for my back to recover. That 20 yr old that hides inside me is really not doing his job anymore. Yes the plans are in the works for a 4 x 8 out feed table with a 2 ft side support.

I was waiting for a return call from Grizzly though as on the fence box was taped a step washer and allen key in a bubble wrap packet. Cant find any where on the saw where this belongs and it is not pictured or referenced anywhere in the manual. I suspect it fell off something else in either customs or shipping and it was added to my packages. I ended up calling Grizzly and no one in tech support knows of a washer like this on the machine so they agree with my suspicions.

Have to focus now on the mechanical room to the main house. Spent the day pulling rat and mouse infested insulation out from under the house. Funny was looking for large garbage bags when my step father remembered he had a whole box of plastic body bags in his garage and I could have a few. ( he use to work in the government for provincial disaster preparedness. Unfortunately in disasters body bags might be necessary. Of course that was 20 + yrs ago and he still had them). Actually good thing though as the insulation packed tight filled 7 six ft tall bags full. I need to get this next project finished so I can get the deep freeze and new hot water tank out of the shop so i can place more machines and get the ducting in. One day at a time.

13781707_10153544194601548_369445401666153456_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great comments. It actually arrived on my 55 birthday Stu so happy B to me. lol Of course had to take a day off for my back to recover. That 20 yr old that hides inside me is really not doing his job anymore. Yes the plans are in the works for a 4 x 8 out feed table with a 2 ft side support.

I was waiting for a return call from Grizzly though as on the fence box was taped a step washer and allen key in a bubble wrap packet. Cant find any where on the saw where this belongs and it is not pictured or referenced anywhere in the manual. I suspect it fell off something else in either customs or shipping and it was added to my packages. I ended up calling Grizzly and no one in tech support knows of a washer like this on the machine so they agree with my suspicions.

Have to focus now on the mechanical room to the main house. Spent the day pulling rat and mouse infested insulation out from under the house. Funny was looking for large garbage bags when my step father remembered he had a whole box of plastic body bags in his garage and I could have a few. ( he use to work in the government for provincial disaster preparedness. Unfortunately in disasters body bags might be necessary. Of course that was 20 + yrs ago and he still had them). Actually good thing though as the insulation packed tight filled 7 six ft tall bags full. I need to get this next project finished so I can get the deep freeze and new hot water tank out of the shop so i can place more machines and get the ducting in. One day at a time.

View attachment 96687

The whole project is moving forward nicely. Nothing as joyful as dealing with rodent infested material. I hope you have a good dust mask.
The garbage men must've taken a hard look at those body bags. Have the Mounties showed up yet?:rofl: