new shop in the works

Finally heard back from the contractor in regards to the quote to build a 24x30 garage / shop. Not including electrical it came in at just over $50,000.00 Simple 2x6 framing on 24inch center and truss roof with metal roofing. I decided to do it myself and enlist the help of friends and family when I need it. Plans changed again after getting the quote and am back to the 24x30 ft shop with concrete foots and 24inch foundation walls. ( turns out of building inspector has forms to rent) Also found out about the metal roof framing. It makes no sense to me as I have done lots of metal roofs before on 1x4 strapping but this is what they want for the seismic factor here now. 2x4 strapping on 16 inch centers with 1/2 inch ply sheeting on top of that then the roof felt and then the metal. Now get this the 2x4 are to provide the air circulation around the trusses but this type of framing is not required if I used asphalt shingles. Anyways going to be non insulated and non heated ( at this present time) The less headaches I have to deal with the better. 6 months down the road things will change in that area but just need to get the structure built and the wiring done. Also the contractor wanted to dig further in the ground to get the foundation in ( 1 ft frost level here) inspector said no that I can just back fill and that the foundation only has to be 6 inches thick over the 8 inches the contractor was going for.

Oh and on the other note all the posts finally came in and I set them all in layer compacted Navi Jack/ pit run ( stuff used as road base) have put 2x4 tops on and will be installing 2x6 bottoms ( helps with keeping the wild rabbits out but also backing so I can trim the grass at the fenced, then the wire deer / rabbit fencing is going up in sections, First time doing fencing like this but found some tricks on line as to how to get the fencing tight. Sandwich the wire with two 2x4s screwed together at each end then stand it up ( hung mine of srews ) then used two tie down straps to tighten it up. worked great.

Last edited:
Have been very careful with the trees Ted no large roots were touched. There will be a foundation wall now so there will be back fill and drainage around the three sides ( though we do have good drainage here ). It has been a challenge dealing with this build as I am on an island and limited to manpower that know what they are doing. This is why I have resigned myself to hiring a contractor to come in with his crew to do the job. I have formed bigger jobs as well as framed lots but now with my injuries I am limited to what I am able to do. It really is frustrating as I am chomping at the bit to get it all started. I could be getting the forms all built and such but promised the wife I will not do a thing.

Wives are really good for that. Don't be a dufus and ignore her.

That place is so beautiful! How in the heck will you be able to get any work done?

IF YOU GO UNDER 200 AMPS I AM GOING TO COME UP THERE AND MAKE YOU LISTEN TO MY, "I TOLD YOU SO!"

I'm sure you will Enjoy,
JimB

Submitted the plans to the permit dept today. Quick re draw the last couple of days and quick talk with the inspector and all seems right on track. Just an out building right now. Electrical is a completely separate dept. So once I get this all built and passed the inspection I will get the electrician in to do his thing. I questioned the inspector about the roof framing as well and as this is not a dwelling the strapping and seismic applications don't apply. When the wiring is done I will be doing the 200 amp service ( wouldn't have it any other way) with underground wiring. Using the shop as the main panel and the house as the subpanel.

Will still be a few weeks Vaughn as plans have to be looked at but really no plumbing or wiring. Its an out building with nothing in it to deal with. Just an empty building with no insulation or drywall. Only thing slowing it up is that it has to get in line to be looked at.

Talked with the inspector last night as he has some forms to rent. Good price too at 150.00. Then wanted to know when I wanted them and to give him a few days notice. I reminded him that I am just waiting on him giving the ok on the plans so I can get started. lol . I could just buy the materials to make my own forms at about 3 times the cost but really I am not going to be doing much in the way of concrete form work again after this job. My knees are starting to give me issues with years of abuse on the job as well as arthritis.

Well footings are poured and stripped. Walls are formed now just waiting on the inspection and my buddy from Victoria to come and help me pour. It seems here on Salt Spring Island the batch plant doesn't work on the weekends so I have to work everything around my buddies schedule. Just slows things down a bit but things are still moving forward. Of course when the walls are all poured I still have to pour a ground seal slab down between the footings of 2 inches thick. I have been taking lots of pictures and as soon as I figure out how to get them posted I will just keep taking photos as it progresses.

What you are not done yet? What is this a government job? ;) :rofl:

Kidding of course. I've seen some of your pics on FaceBook, looks like lots of hard work, but boy are you going to enjoy that shop when it is done.

Cheers!

Drew, which web browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, other?) and version (usually under help>>about on the menu) are you using and which OS (windows, mac, linux, etc.) do you have? Just wondering what might have changed to break your upload. :wave:

using IE and have no problem uploading anywhere else just here. Yea Stu It is a slow process as the concrete batch plant doesn't work on the weekends and all my help work through the week so have to arrange times it all works for my friends. This Tuesday we will pour the walls and then the following week to get the ground seal poured. Then that is it for the concrete. Just ordered the wood for the framing so that arrives the week following and hopefully that will go faster as I can do must of the framing myself. just maybe get a hand standing walls on the weekends.

Have tried that Ted. Still nothing. I will keep a record of the entire thing and hopefully when I get the time after the build I will be able to focus more on this. Anyways concrete is almost finished as I have only the seal coat to put down today ( august 4) the rest of it the walls and footings all went without a hitch. Called for the last inspection and the inspector asked where my floor drains were? Floor drains ? what floor drains this is a storage building I asked. He want off on something about requiring them and I reminded him this was a storage building with perimeter drainage. He went off about what if the water level rises above that and where is the water going to go? I looked at him and said if the water gets that high I am pretty screwed anyways so does it matter. He called back later explaining that if I was on high ground then the perimeter grains should be enough so long as I don't back fill. Really don't back fill? this is what the perimeter drains are for. Doesn't matter anyways as I plan on putting the drain tile well below the seal coat and just using drain rock for the entire perimeter with pavers on top for walking. Just bloody ridiculous these inspectors. just trying to justify their job will start framing next week.

Well Just got the framing inspection done yesterday. as well as the perimeter drain inspection. Now can get the soffits finished facia and the metal roofing on, then building paper windows and door and get the power into the shop. Only one inspection left and that is for the landing in front of the door ( electrical inspection as well). Just in time for the wet season here. Put down a synthetic roofing underlay material Called Rhino roofing but had some issues with it as it ended up leaking. Seems the stuff shrunk a bit and the only recommended method of attaching it was either plastic headed staples or roofing nails. I used roofing nails and it tore as it shrank so it leaked. The local building supply company replaced it with the next level of material ( Gold underlay) and I stapled it down with regular staples ( damn the manufacture warranty at this time) and it held and the shop is dry. Now to get the metal roofing on next dry days.