new shop in the works

Saw the auto repair place today to get the estimate of the damage on the car. Air bags are 1000 each and 600 for the modules each. washer bottle is 250 and fenders and associated parts round it up to around 6000 not including any suspension issues. They stopped at the 6 grand as that now becomes a write off. So now can officially start looking for a replacement. I'm getting my back looked at too as its just getting worse.

It did however give me a chance to visit with my Mom who is 89 and is having kidney and heart issues. Going to visit her last week was why I went out that day as she had gone to the hospital the night before. Yes it is serious. She is a three time cancer survivor and now her kidneys are shutting down which is effecting her heart. We don't know how much time she has but she is 2 months away from 90. Pretty good run and she is in good spirits. She lived through England during the Bombings of WW2. She has outlived all her sisters and brothers and has seen her kids all have kids and some grand kids ( just found out last week we are going to be grandparents). Still a tough old bird though as she refuses to give up.

Yes out feed table is a beast but that is what I wanted. I still need to get some plastic laminate on it and cut out for the miter gauge. I will be building a drawer set under the front to put blades and inserts etc. I will also be wiring in a power bar across the back as you can never have enough places to plug in tools. I go out there everyday during the cold spell we are having and lite the wood stove and warm the shop up. Move things around and try to figure how I want to set things up. I have an assortment of old benches and counter tops along with mobile cabinets that were needed for the last shop due to how small it was. Somethings will fit others will be temp till I figure out what I really want to do with them. The lathe area has been my focus the past few days trying to figure where the grinders and tools will go that will provide some kind of flow. I need to start building wall cabinets to get some tools put away and accessible again. Trying to imagine how things will look in my mind and if it will improve the work flow of the shop. I am more or less surrendering to just getting things up and then revamping them later. I am still looking through boxes under the shop toi find missing tools too.

Last edited:
You're an early bird Drew, when I'm seeing your new posts at 08:14 Atlantic time! I'm sorry to hear about your mother's health challenges, but it's very helpful to all concerned when there's a good, positive attitude.

I'm watching your shop progress with great interest and taking note of ideas I can adapt to make my own space more organized and workable. Take care of your back trouble.

You're an early bird Drew, when I'm seeing your new posts at 08:14 Atlantic time! I'm sorry to hear about your mother's health challenges, but it's very helpful to all concerned when there's a good, positive attitude.

I'm watching your shop progress with great interest and taking note of ideas I can adapt to make my own space more organized and workable. Take care of your back trouble.

Unfortunately Peter I was up once again due to the pain in the back ( new muscle relaxant drugs from the Dr today to help me sleep through the night). So far the drugs have not helped.

Glad I can be of some help in your designs for your shop.

Attachments

• 15801642_10153946538286548_1879203323_n.jpg
    15801642_10153946538286548_1879203323_n.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Finally took the time during our recent snow fall to get a first real project done for the shop. i have needed this for years but was always put on the back burner. I saw the photo in a magazine. Its perfect, so spent a couple of days designing as i went and putting it all together. Sort of making it up as I went with the mag photo as a sort of guide. Im still not finished with it but this is a good start.

16809999_10154068962171548_156647489_n.jpg16880536_10154073691801548_990845339_o.jpg16809809_10154071018716548_132258665_n.jpg

Handsome looking cabinet! I love a neat, organized layout for tools. Can't always achieve that on my own so I am always happy to see others achieve it.

That's a very nice cabinet, Drew. Well thought out and a place for everything with room for more. Does it hang behind your usual work position at the bench? I'm picturing that to be an efficient layout.

Thanks. It hangs on the only chunk of wall that has space for it and two studs. I obviously put too many wall outlets on the walls. lol Yes its near the work bench, but no real flow area to the shop yet as I am still feeling it out. I have put all my carving tools behind the other door panel and ran out of space for all the tools. I still have a box missing with more tools in it that i have not found yet. Also took some time today to clean up some of my hand saws as they were a mess. All this space will take some time to get use to.and I'm still trying to just get things put away and why this cabinet was so important to get built. I still have lots of cabinets and benches yet to build. Like Rome it will not built in one day.

Great looking cabinet Drew. I have one of those on my list as well. I may start on it soon as I'm planning to get some new base cabinets built, may just make it part of the list to get done. ;)